This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I would like to learn more about how the MA's role differs from the LPN in a health care setting, ie

Please tell me how the MA's role differs from the LPN in a doctor's office setting.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assisting Student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? Not as an MA

Re: I would like to learn more about how the MA's role differs from the LPN in a health care setting

I believe that LPNs do a lot more of the paper-work type of stuff. They develop care plans, where as MAs don't. If you work in an IV clinic, they can start IVs. I also think that they can give meds without a doctor's order. I'm not too sure, though. I've never met an LPN that works in an office.

Re: I would like to learn more about how the MA's role differs from the LPN in a health care setting

Nurses are trained for and given supervisory roles. MAs,for the most part, are not. Usually an office will have at least one nurse. My mother's has 3 LPNs that do all the patients while the one MA takes care of the prescriptions. Supposedly she is allowed to do the fingerstick protimes but I have never seen her do them,only the nurses.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

I am an LNA as well, and we ARE allowed to do fingersticks, and also as an MA we are allowed to do fingersticks. I do them all the time-

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LNA/ MA

Are You Working? yes

I was saying at this particular office,only the nurses do the ProTime fingersticks,on the very expensive ProTime machine. This is because the patients are put on the nurse's schedule.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Go to www.bls.gov to look at the scope of practice
for medical assistants and LPN's. Also, you can go to aama-ntl.org to read more about medical assistants.There is a HUGE difference between an MA and a nurse.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. Hospital ER/Clinic

I am the clinical supervisor at the office I work in and I'm not a LPN, I'm a medical assisnt. In fact we don't have any LPN's or RN's in our office . There are 5 MA's and me, then the clerical people. Really there isn't anything a LPN does in the OFFICE setting that a MA can't do. Also, just as a FYI MA's CAN start IV lines in the state of Maryland and run a saline drip. This is now being taught in MA school. If you don't believe me look online for the IV infusion for Medical Assisnts text book :) . Now with that said.......LPN's CAN and DO do more in the LTC and hospital setting. Also, another FYI.....I make the same and sometimes more as a MA then the LPN's I know who work in the hospital and SOME LTC settings. According to PayScale.com the average hourly pay for a LPN with 10 years of experience is 17.86/hr....I make 18.00/hr with 4 years experience as a MA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? YEs

Are You Working? Yes

Wow, Brad that is great!!!! I have family in Maryland, so maybe I should just move down there!!! Thank you all for your input, it was really helpful!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LNA/MA

Are You Working? yes