This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What can I do?

Hi in 2006 i graduated from bryman college as a medical assistant but i did not search for a job after gradiation because i was pregnant and had my daughter a month after graduation i am know trying to look for a job, but since i havent done any kind of work in my field i dont know exactly what i need to do, its been two years since i graduated, so my question is what do i need to do? since i havent pratice any of my skills since graduation do i need to do anything before i start applying for jobs? And im also interested in going into nursing but i dont know how to get started?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: What can I do?

The only thing you can do is start sending your resume; but don't put your graduation year on it. Skills have a way of coming back to you. Most jobs have their own training period any way.

As far as Nursing School, start researching the schools in your area that you are interested in and follow their application process; including for applying for Financial Aid online @ FAFSA, if you need that. There are big waiting lists everywhere, so choose a school, and start getting your pre-reqs out of the way while you're waiting.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, PNCC, CNA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Re: What can I do?

In regards to what Romona said, you can't apply to nursing school until you get your pre-reqs out of the way....Most of the schools that use a lotto system have at LEAST a one year waiting list. If you can get good grades and a high GPA you might have a good chance in getting into a program that uses merit. Try working as an MA while you are taking some of your pre-reqs, the experience will earn you points if applying to a school using a merit system. I applied to one of each (merit and lotto) I was #72 on a waiting list at the college that uses a lotto system (ASN) and got in at the college that used a merit system (BSN); but I had a 3.56 overall GPA and a 3.7 pre-req GPA; plus my medical assisting experience. Talk with a college conceiler, depedning on your state and if you are applying for a ASN or a BSN the requirements will be different. I had to have a lot more classes to get into the BSN program than the ASN

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service