This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Did i make a mistake?

Hi all,
I took a job at a clinic after being out of the business for a year my pay is only 8:00hr, this dose not sound fair to me.

The doctor only works 3 days a week (tuesday-thursday)
it is a family practice. And IMO the doctor seems like he has no motivation to be there even those 3 days lol.

If its a foot in the door thats cool, but i have to wonder should I have held out for a better position?

I also have seen the posts on the board about pay (some from real people some not lol ) anyways I live in southeast MI and between the 8hr (that I got) and 11:50hr that I hve seen for jobs and some in between that is the range I see in the area.

Is Michigan that bad of a state for MA's?

Thanks
Joyce

Re: Did i make a mistake?

I just did a google search and found the MI minimum wage is $7.40, I was thinking, that might be the source of the lower wages in that area. I also checked my home state of OR and found the minimum wage is $7.95, starting wages in my area seem to be about $12 for an MA. There is a huge disparity here, IDK why.

Having been out of the field for a year shouldn't be that big a deal IMO. If you find you made a mistake I would advise sticking it out for at least a year and then start applying for other positions.

Hi Jeff,
The min wage thing crossed my mind, but I think the economy overall in MI may have a small part to it.

I wil lstay with it for sure I jsut feel I'am getting short changed.

I don't think you made a mistake, as long as you see this job as a "springboard" for bigger and better things in your near future.

Get everything you CAN out of this job, i.e. experience, exposure, and promotion, if it is offered. :ast but not least, excelent references and letter of recommendation... and while there, just keep looking!!!

Landing a better job will become just a tad-bit easier once you've had your 1st chance. Employers will appreciate your experience, and they understand that people are always looking for better jobs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Admin/Website Owner