This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are people lying.......

When they say they are certified in something and they never graduated from high school? I look at the posts on Indeed.com a lot and saw one today where someone said she was certified in medical assisting and was a CNA yet never graduated from high school. How can that be? I don't think she had a GED either. I saw one last week where someone wrote that they were certified in phlebotomy and EKGs yet couldn't find a job since they were only 16. I think that person was pulling our legs unless they graduated from school at 15.
But don't you have to show proof to certifying agencies that you are a high school graduate (or the equivalent)? Are there any that don't require it? Do you have to be a high school grad or have a GED to become an STNA or CNA?

Re: Are people lying.......

I am not sure on all the rules for Certification, I am sure they are different for each state. I graduated from a JC and you had to be 18 to apply for the MA program. In California, inorder to apply for the exam you have to show proof of :certification in Venipuncture and injections (for clinical cert), and must be quilified on at least one of the following: 1.Currently employed as a medical assistant by a licensed physician or podiatrist in the
United States, 2.Graduate of an accredited medical assisting program in the United States or a program approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education, California Department of
Consumer Affairs within one year preceding the examination, 3. At least two years employment within the last five years as a medical assistant in the United States, 4.Current employment as a medical assisting instructor in an accredited institution in the United States, 5. United States Military training or United States schooling equivalent to that provided by accredited medical assisting programs in the United States

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

Heartsopenwide has given excellent feedback. I agree 2x. Thanks for all the great work here.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Admin/Website Owner

Well,I am wondering,Danni, just how many states have a state board exam for medical assistants? I know California does but what other states do? These would be the ones with their own rules but all the others would have to adhere to the rules of nationally recognized certifying agencies. I know AMT requires proof of a high school diploma or GED but there is no mention of any age requirement.

Maybe not I started nursing school when I was 16, but I did have my GED.

In my state you have to be 18 to be a CNA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN Dec. 08

Are You Working? yes. hospital ER

There is no MA program that could allow students to go to school without having a high school diploma or GED. If the program is not thru a junior community college it would be accredited through your states "Higher Education Commission", which would mean secondary education-after high school diploma or GED.
If there are programs taking taking students without these credentials, turn them in.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN Dec. 08

Are You Working? yes. hospital ER