This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Math in Medical Assisting

Hi y'all....I'm curious about the kind of math that is used in medical assisting. I know it is to figure out dosages and things like that, but how is it done? With fractions?

Also, if anyone can recommend any medical math sites I can practice with now before I take the class, I would appreciate it!

Are You Still In School? Just starting

Re: Math in Medical Assisting

That is a great question and I would love to know the answer as well. I know I have a class next spring for administration of medication and we have to figure out dosages.

Are You Still In School? Have not started yet

Are You Working? no

What you both could do is get a copy of a medical assistant text off eBay for real cheap and look up the math in that. It can be complex,especially calculating a pediatric dose. But you know what? In my class the teacher said she was going to give us an exam with 5 or 6 math problems and we could not pass the program unless we got every question right. It made us all very nervous-until we saw that not only were they easy questions,but those in the class that got any wrong were allowed to redo them until they got them right. Something tells me this is typical in a lot of these programs,where they will pass on just anyone.

Thanks for the replies....I did a google search and found a couple of sites that gave some samples. It doesn't look easy, but I know it's not impossible to learn! I just have to find a way to make it make sense to me.

In addition to the above very good suggestions you could utilize the MA-Pharm website at www.mapharm.com which discusses many of the pharmacology topics a medical assistant needs to know - including calculating dosages - everything is easily accessible and all free. Again, go to http://www.mapharm.com - another one of my many websites for medical assistants.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Admin/Website Owner

The math that is used most often by MA's in the medical office is ratio and porportions along with simple fractions and your evryday basic math. This stuff is all very easy!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? YEs

Are You Working? Yes