This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anybody certified through NHA?

Here's another unbelievable subject I saw on an INDEED forum-someone recently wrote and asked if it was true that as a result of passing the NHA medical assistant exam (think it's called CCMA),was she also certified in phlebotomy and EKGs. She said she was actually told that by NHA,so she was wondering if it was true,then how come they have other exams for those fields. Someone wrote in and told her it was true,she IS certified in those 2 subjects. Has anybody else been led to believe this falsehood by this organization?

Re: Anybody certified through NHA?

It's true! The CCMA exam includes Phle Tech and EKG. It includes everything clinical.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? YEs

Are You Working? Yes

But so does the RMA exam........

I wrote NHA and they told me that there is more training in their approved programs for phlebotomy and EKGs. I can see an MA program providing more in depth training for blood drawing (although it sure wasn't in mine),but what all is added for EKG technology? That is a complex field and I don't see many EKG departments hiring MAs......

I am certified thru NHA. I had extensive training in EKG. But a CMA only needs to know identifying factors in EKG readings, they DO NOT READ them. That is for the MD. Just remember we don't make any kind of diagnosis; we only do the diagnostic teasting an MD orders. I have several friends who work in Cardio offices and do EKG's all day long.
You can take an EKG certification course thru NHA and obtain your cert.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing

Are You Working? ER 5 years

Thank you for answering my question but doesn't an MA have to go through a NHA approved program in order to take any of their exams? Their website is so vague that it is hard to be able to tell what all is involved in the criteria.

An MA can certify thru RMA exam (AMT) if they worked in the field for a number of years and have references. I encourage everyone to certify. The medical field to some degree does not always look upon MAs in good light because we are unlicensed medical workers.
On a side note I also have perused the other MA forum and found it to be quite "woe is me", poor, poor, me.....I got screwed in school.....
Negativity breeds just that. When I read through the posts I think to myself..If I was a physician I would not hire these people either.
Posts that read,
"i cantt git me know job.i wint to skool for 2 yers annd the skool liid an sed they give me job when i gradeate.i am a real grate MA,sumone hire me pleeze!"
Good Lord! These are the people the nursing profession scoffs at, and points to when calling for the hiring of unlicensed workers to cease.

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 09

Written communication is so important as an MA! I can't see how any of those people can communicate effectively when they can't even spell!!

Jenny

"Indeed.com" is also a job search website. Many MA graduates will desperately look over that site in search of jobs that they will never get,due to the fact that they ARE close to being illiterate,yet were allowed to enter a MA program that had no assessment testing prior to registration. As long as they can sign the papers for the loans,that is enough to get them in. That should also be protested.

So true. The real question is how did they graduate from high school?

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 09

I am looking into going to school for MA. I wanted to go to LPN school but that doesnt start until 2009 so I was figuring if I went for MA now I could possibly get into a hospital now that will pay my tuition for LPN later. My question is the school I am looking into isnt a CAAHEP or ABHES approved school but they are NHA. Is there a difference? I am just worried I am going to put this time and money out and not be able to land a job because of certification.
thanks for any input!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: stay at home mom

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

If it is not accredited you will not be able to take the AMT or AAMA exam. If it is NHA then it's one of their approved programs. Look into this good. Most hospitals do not hire MAs and you will end up paying for 2 programs. It might be better to become a CNA since many nursing programs are requiring that anyhow. Not to mention you WILL find work as one while finding a job as an MA is iffy.

There are a ton of hospitals out there where with an average of 6 months employment, you can go thru their LPN program (while working for the hospital) and they pay 100%. A usual, post one year contract with hospital. Great deal to take. Check out your local hospitals.

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Please email me any info possible that may help me to pass the certification exam. thank you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

You can study for exam using this site!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN December 2008 Then it is off to pass the nclex

Are You Working? yes. Hospital Clinic

If a program is AMT approved, but not accrediated bt ABHES or CAAHEP, does this mean we can still take the AAMA/AMT exam to become certified/registered?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Receptionist/Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No