This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cma

hello all! I have 2 questions? whats the diff between getting your associates degree in medical assisting or just going trough school and getting certified? also is U.S. Career Institute legit anyone know???

Re: cma

The best way to check out a school is to contact your states higher education comission and the Better Business Bureau. Also speak with former students.
I will honest on question #2. I have a associates in medical assisting.But I am the only one in my hospital who does. The other CMAs all went thru diploma programs-we make the same $. A friend of mine who does medical recruiting for a large firm in the southeast says her company only looks for what the employer wants...CERTIFICATION. They do not care if you have a assoc. or a diploma. When I decide to pursue my BSN in nursing, very little transfered. So do not let recruiters tell you that if decide to go on and pursue an advanced degree everything will transfer.
I read so many posts from people who spent thousands on their program to become a CMA. Be cautious in all of your investigating and do your home work!
Good luck! .....lexi

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

thanks Lexi!!! thats just what I thought!!!!

I originally got my certificate of completion when I graduated from my MA program and got certified. A could years later I completed the pre-reqs for nursing and to transfer to a state college which also got me my associates degree. I want not paid a cent more when this happened. My boss told me that I would not get more when I got my degree. There really isn't any reason to get paid for having your associates vs. a certificate of completion because you do not take any additional MA courses (unlike the ASN Vs the BSN which is a while year of additional nursing courses...plus non-nursing classes and they usually only make fifty cents more an hour.... )

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service