This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hospital based MA program?

Hi, I found this site a few days ago and have been reading a lot of old posts. I hope someone here has some input for me! I am thinking of going into an allied health field. I have a Bachelor's degree from 16 yrs ago in Interior Design--yes I know that is completely unrelated to the health field! And I would have to 'start over' as far as classes are concerned--I took Psych 101 and English and even a Chem 101 back then but I suspect it has been too long ago to count any of those credits. But I have been a stay-at-home mom for almost 11 yrs and my youngest will be in 1st grade this fall so it is time to think about what I will do. (I am not sure that I am interested in going back to the design field) Ever since having kids I have been interested in labor and delivery; but I really don't think I am interested in LPN or RN or the schooling that is required to do that. I am not terribly interested in working on a med/surg floor of a hospital, or in LTC. That is why I am thinking that being an MA, maybe in an OB-Gyn office, would be a good fit. I like the idea of normal workweek hours. I have also read about Surgical Technologists who can work in L&D's assisting with c-sections, but that is another topic/board LOL.

I live near Indianapolis and Clarian Health (runs 3 large hospitals and many dr. offices) has an 11-month program for MA. It is accredited by ABHES, but not CAAHEP. Is ABHES the 'second rate' accreditation? I understand that students from an ABHES program can sit for either the AMT or AAMA certification exams. I have not read anything on this site about hospital-based programs, are they really so rare? This one costs about $3400 plus they estimate another $1200-1400 for books/fees/supplies. So $4600-4800 total. It lists the externship as being 480 contact hours. Does all this sound okay? Obviously before I would commit to it I would try to talk with actual students and dr. offices to see what their opinions are of the program. Thanks for any input anyone can give me!

Re: Hospital based MA program?

I also meant to say that the program results in a Certificate, not an Assoc. degree. From what I've read here, that doesn't seem to matter to employers as much as being Certified through either AAMA or AMT does.

So NOBODY has ever heard of a hospital based MA program? Anyone with ANY insight please post!

No, I never have heard of a hosp. based MA program. It would be more cost effective for a hosp.to have an LPN program, which so many do now. MAs are very limited in hospital settings since we are unlicensed health-care workers. I will be honest on another point. That is an awful lot of money to spend on a MA program. You could go thru an 11 month LPN program, be a licensed nurses and work for a Dr. office.
I am a CMA who works in a hosp. I spent a lot of $$$ on my JCC degree and very few classes were trans.because there is such a diff between a CMA and an RN (or LPN).
Check out several diff programs before you decide. Make sure the one you choose will still be serving you in ten years. Choose one you can build on; not be limited by. Good luck to you!

I just re-read your post. I don't think this is really a hosp. based program. Maybe taught in a hosp? But if Clarian is teaching the program and has Dr. offices in the area, their main goal is to cut costs and not hire LPNs. This is not good or bad so no one flame me for this!Really check it out.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

I think you are paying way too much for your that program. In my area there are not any MAs in the hospitals, if there are they are really tech positions and do not hold the MA title. My cousin is an CMA at a urgent care, but she still functions as an office medical assistant.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

Thanks for your responses! So how much 'should' an accredited MA program cost? The statewide community college here (Ivy Tech CC) charges $95 per credit hour, and the MA program they have for a certificate is 46 credits at the shortest (to be able to take the certification exam), so that is $4370, not including books. So the $4600-4800 total for the hospital-taught program AND books doesn't sound bad. Ivy Tech's LPN program is 43 credits so only $285 cheaper than the MA. There are a couple more private colleges here that I'm betting cost even more--MedTech (which isn't even accredited), Indiana Business College, Brown Mackie which I think I read was like $400-something per credit hour? Anyway, I've checked into all the accredited MA programs around here (Indianapolis) and the hospital program is the cheapest. I don't know where you guys live but it sounds like you might have cheaper programs there. Reading other posts on this site about where people have paid $15-20000 for MA, I was thinking in the $4000-range was cheap! Maybe I am mistaken! Or maybe I live in the wrong state LOL.

I am sure it is part of your state. JC in CA are only $20/unit!! (I am at the CSU mulititudes more than that) if it is CHEAPER to go for your LVN...GO FOR IT!! you will make nearly twice as much as an LVN and a lot of LVNs work in hospitals (not so much anymore), nursing homes and doctors offices (and are in charge of MAs)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

Hearts id sooooooooooo right. I would go for my LVN.
I have enjoyed being a CMA, but wish I had done nursing instead! DO NOT GET SCAMMED into paying too much!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

I'm originally from the Indy area. Two of my friends went to Ivy Tech (one for LPN, one for MA), and both had very positive experiences. Ivy Tech is a great state college!