This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting ready to start Medical Assisting/Information Technology

I'm getting ready to start the program on Monday June 30, 2008, a 18 months Associate Degree at a Junior College. The classes I'm taking for the Summer Quarter are Medical Term, Government, speaking for success, and psychology and it will end on September 29, 2008. I'm a 43 year old woman and my siter thinks I'm crazy, she said I should have went to school for a nurse, but the problem with that is their is a waiting list and who to say that I can get in. She is telling me I can't advance my career. Is their other Certifications that I can get? And also how can I advance my career?

Re: Getting ready to start Medical Assisting/Information Technology

Hey cupcakes: read through some of the posts on here....there have been some folks nice enough to answer this before!

Jenny

Jenny is right. Some great recent threads. Good luck

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

I looked through alot, still couldn't find anything, thats alright. I'll look through all the post when I have alot of time. Thank you

After 2.5 really long years I'm done. I went to a community college and I'd say at least half the class was over 40.

If your interest is in nursing do that instead. IMO, don't even start an MA program if you want to be a nurse. Very few of the credits transfer to that degree, only the general education requirements like writing, math or history will count. None of the clinical classes count for the RN program at the school I went to. So unless you have money and time to blow, if you even think you might want to do the nursing thing do it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? sorta

Are You Working? not yet

My medical assisting experience helped me get into my BSN program; but I would suggest going the LVN/LPN route if you want to get medical experience before getting your RN. Unless you are getting you MA at a JC most of the MA programs are way too expensive and it will take you forever with a MA salary to pay back and school loans. I do not regret my medical assisting days, they were good experience, but I am so glad to be moving on, for many reasons, some of which many people here complain about...and because I was getting board with the work and you immediately hit the glass ceiling as an MA...there is no "moving up" in medical assisting, in fact, the credits of the actual MA courses (I am not talking about sociology, psychology and other classes that are required for the program) do not transfer.

If I just wanted a fun and rewarding job and was a bit older and my husband could support me without me having a good paying job I would have stayed an MA; but I am only 27, I want my MSN and CNM and my job as an MA was not paying the bills. I think it is a wonderful job for a past stay at home mom that now wants to get out of the house and do something else meaningful; but to make a living....give me a break!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

Kudos, Hearts! Unless licensure ever happens in the MA world, nothing will change. I am happy to be moving on too!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years