This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMA vs. LPN

Can a CMA apply for LPN jobs? Why or why not?

It is so hard to find a descent job here in Natchitoches, LA for a medical assistant because here in this little town everyone is after the same jobs. Is there any way I can find a descent job and enjoy my work as well? I have even thought about going back to school to become a LPN just to be able to find a job in the medical field here in my town.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes, but not in the medical field like I want

Re: CMA vs. LPN

Sorry but a CMA can not apply for a LPN job. because a CMA are not trained in bedside nursing. i have heard that some schools say that CMA's are replacing LPN's but that's only in the doctor's offices.
Second reason is that LPN's are licensed by the states they work and CMA's are not state licensed.
if you want to go back to school starting as a LPN is a good start to gain nursing experience, but don't stop there go own an earn a R. N.
you'll find there are more job opportunities as a R.N.
every year i seen that they train less and less Lpn's.
BEST OF LUCK..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: L.P.N. (ret. kind of)

Are You Still In School? yes, for R.M.A.

Are You Working? no

Hi Mitch, Are you currently an LPN going to school to become a Registered Medical Assistant? Just wondering?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

Lexi,
yes, i'm still hold a lpn license. but i i no longer work as a nurse. i can no longer due any heavy lefting of pt due to a back issue. As a male i was always being called for the lifting jobs even on other units.this took a toll on my back.
i'm still able to do so lite work,so i thought i try medical asst.i feel that this is the best for me with my experience.
in my area the school i pick was the only one that had a clinical ma program. the rest were are for administration/clinical.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: L.P.N. (ret. kind of)

Are You Still In School? yes, for R.M.A.

Are You Working? no

There are actually nursing theory courses taught in an LPN/RN program as well that aren't covered in MA courses. It gets into the critical thinking and planning care for patients using a nursing care plan. You are also expected as a nurse to do head to toe assessments and some other things not included in MA programs. You cannot apply for a licensed position without a license. Certification is not the same.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Working? Yes

Move to california, it the only state I know of that does not require you to go through a LNV program to apply for the state boards and get your lisence, there is specific areas you have to have experience in and documented hours.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

what specific areas must you have experience in to take the state test for LPN? How do I go about this and do I have to be resident in CA to take the test there?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Yes, Full-time at Physician of Internal Medicine Office

Just have to share an incident at work recently. I think it's right on topic. One of our male pt's came to the clinic in a wheelchair, unable to bear any weight, to see the MD for a hospital follow-up. While in the room, pt had a diarrhea accident. (pt came from the nursing home with no assistant. He had a trach, feeding tube, and foley) The md reported this accident to me and I knew he expected I would clean him up. Problem is that I've never been trained to do this sort of thing but I knew I could go to one of the nurses in a nearby dialysis unit, who grabbed a male tech. and the 3 off us got this pt. off his wheelchair, cleaned up and on his happy way. Am I wrong to think, "I am not a nurse. I do NOT do this sort of thing as part of my job!" And in all honesty, I don't think I should have to as a medical assistant. Fortunately, it has never come up before and I pray it never happens again. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? N

Are You Working? Y

K-Luv. No you do not need to be a CA resident. Go to this web site to find out the requirements
http://www.bvnpt.ca.gov/

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula