This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MA's and Flexibility

Hello,
I'm a pre-nursing student and I'm thinking about going to MA school. Since I will be applying to Nursing school next month I want to be able to work as an MA during nursing school (that's if i get accepted).I'm just wondering about the flexibility of an MA, such as part-time, per diem, or night shift. Is it worth it? The program is about $400. Or should I just go to CNA school...I know there is some flexibilty there..?

Re: MA's and Flexibility

I forgot to mention that this is in Los Angeles county

At the school I went to, you must have CNA experience to get into the nursing program.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? sorta

Are You Working? not yet

Jefff is right. If you are going to nursing school get your CNA. It's best to have that experience!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

Most schools now require a CNA certification prior to getting into a nursing program. It's typically only a 3 month program opposed to a 1 year MAS program. With that, you can work at a number of places making close to the same wages. You will also be working with and along side nurses which is great experience for clinicals and working as a nurse down the road. If your ultimate goal is nursing, I'd stick with working as a CNA. JMHO Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Thats ironic, several years ago California RN programs dropped the CNA requirement; we just learned basic patient care (CNA work) the first few weeks in lab. It is still a requirment for LVN programs however.

CMA work is not very flexible. Its mostly 9-5 mon-fri;but I am sure you can find a job that is part time, I worked as an MA only in the afternoons on days I had classes. If you already know that you want to go into nursing school I would do the CNA thing, not only because it is more flexible but because it is more realated to things you will be doing as a nurse...nurses do not do CNA work, CNAs do nurses work...just because you are a nurse does not me you will no longer be chagning bed pans, giving bed baths, changing adult diapers, ect. In my area there is only ONE CNA at one hospital, and only one CNA in various departments, but not all at anothe hospital. After the Govonator changed the nursing ratios hospitals could not afford to keep CNAs or LVNs so now the RNS do everything...in most hospitals

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

Sorry, I ment one hospital only has one CNA for the entire hosital (med/surg floor), another has only one CNA for a few units (not all areas in the hospital) and the other does not have and CNAs, just ward clerks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

thanks for the replies....Well this MA program is in a Community college and the school splits one accelerated semester of clinical MA and the other semester of the Administrative MA. I would only be doing the clinical portion of the program...Since its only a Saturday and Monday class...Im thinking of just looking for nursing home to train me as a CNA and work for them while doing the MA program (4 months). The clinical portion is only 12 Units/$200. I just want to get exposed with actual clinical stuff that CNA's are not taught or allowed to do. So that when and if I get accepted I would know some of the clinical task...So is it worth the time and money??

I think the general agreement here is get your CNA. I am in nursing school, BSN as of this dec. 08, and no one gives two hoots that I have been a CMA for 5 years.
Why pay money for a CMA certification that you won't be using in the future. As an MA you will give inj. and draw blood but there is a huge difference between an MA and a nurse.
I suggest you check out a forum-allnurses.com
Great threads for students getting ready to go to nursing school etc. Awesome website!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

Im in WA state here, and you dont have to be an M.A or a CNA to do any nursing, the only thing that is required is that you have your pre-req's done, and the waiting list for an LPN is over a year here. As for R.N, that is different. I dont know about any other state, but here, you have to have at least a B.A degree and it is strongly suggested that you have a Master's along with it! I am looking to go into the LPN program as soon as my prereqs are done. I would suggest to anyone who is thinking about doing the same, to really start to like Math. Or be well in it, for you are going to be doing a LOT of math in your LPN or R.N classes! sorry if my spelling is off, my keyboard is broken...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes