This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Some Encouragement!

Hi everyone! My name is Kristen. I'm 30 and about to begin a 10 month Medical Assisting w/Limited X-Ray program at Concorde next month. I was very excited about starting school to become a CMA until I started reading message boards about CMA's online. It seems like almost everything i've read has been nothing but negative. I keep reading that there are no jobs and that the pay stinks, etc.

I honestly don't mean any offense to any of you who may have posted about similar issues, but I guess i'm hoping to find someone who has had a good experience and can give me some encouragement that this training is not a waste of time or money. I did a lot of research before selecting a school & program that I thought would offer me the best type of training. I'm especially excited to get the opportunity to learn x-ray.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself :)

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Need Some Encouragement!

Welcome Kristen! You have to ask yourself why you want to be an MA. If it is for the money, I would reconsider. It is average money at best.

BUT....if you want a job in the medical field where you can make a difference every day, I think you would enjoy being an MA! This is the reason I'm doing it--not for the money, but for the good feeling of helping people!!

Jenny

Thanks Jenny :)
I did a lot of thinking before signing up for the school and the money was not my biggest concern. I am married so this wont be our only source of income. For the first few years it will be tough because my younger children will need childcare which will probably eat up the majority of my paychecks the first couple of years. When the kids are all in school it wont be that bad.

I really liked the job duties that went with MA versus nursing duties. I have worked as a CNA in the past and I know that many of them work in nursing homes or home health. I don't mean any offense to anyone who works in those types of facilities but it just wasn't for me. It seemed like they were badly understaffed and I was getting called to work ALL the time (holidays, weekends, evenings, etc). I would much rather work in a clinical setting with normal business hours. To me that was one of the big decision factors in choosing the MA program. Plus I am very interested in learning X-Ray and this particular school offers 3 months worth of X-Ray training. If I can score an 80 or better in the X-Ray then I'm eligible to take an exam to get certified. I would only be able to do basic X-Rays, but hopefully the extra training might help me get a job (keeping my fingers crossed, lol).

Are You Working? No

I was well over 40 when I went back to school for my MA degree. I just graduated, in June, and took the CMA certification test. There was no job opening at my externship site so I'm now looking for a job. I have had several interviews, one at an orthopedist who wanted x-ray experience. X-ray wasn't part of my program, so it would be good to have that under your belt. I think it is a good choice if being an MA is your goal.

As for lack of work, I don't think so. I have applied for 3 openings at a clinic, the orthopedist, a university student health clinic and eight positions with a large health organization with many practices in the area. I have interviewed for several of the positions, some I decided in the interview that I wasn't a good fit for the position. Many of my classmates already have jobs, some before we graduated.

Don't let what folks say get you down. One time I had done especially well in classes and was feeling pretty good about things and I got on to the computer and was greeted by a whole lot of negativity. I was in a funk partially through the next term due to peoples comments, then I realized half of these people are not who they say they are and are full of crap. They feel the need to get on their pc and belittle others so they can feel better about themselves. They are no better than any other form of internet troll. Don't let that deter you, find support where you can. My wife gives me crap for getting on the diesel truck sights and says they are all wannabe's with Subaru's and them silly fart can exhausts & tinker toy trunk junk, but what does she know.

It sounds to me like you have done your homework and will have plenty of opportunities. Good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? sorta

Are You Working? not yet

Hi Jeff with three F's! LOL

I'm so glad you said that about internet trolls. You can go onto almost any site and there will be negative people. I make it a priority to think positively every day, but there are some folks that feel so crappy about themselves they have to say crappy things about others.

Kristen, where are you getting your education?

You have probably read my experiecne with my job. However, I think I just have a bad experience. I am going to stay in my job, and keep praying. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, even though I have only been there for 30 days. I still have 2 months to go. I want desperately to stay, but am a go betwen with my doctor, and the office manager. I am not going to lie to you, it is very hard knowing that you are being talked about, and one day has been told one thing, yet another day, you are being fussed at for it. Don't listen to my part. I am just trying to get through each day, and I do that through prayer and "venting" to all of you. I wish you well.But more than that just do all you can do, and you will be fine. willow

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Jenny,

I'm going to Concorde Career Institute. I've heard fairly good things about the school and it seems to have a good reputation in our area.

Are You Working? No

Hello. I have looked over these forums and sites just as you have, and also have realized i might only be able to make just little more than Im making now. But I also have a extreme passion right now for the medical field.. Im unsure of Nursing right now until I can gain more clinical confidence.. I fiqured MA would be perfect place to start.. So it depends on your mission for the MA position MONEY? PASSION? or BOTH!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assisting Student

Are You Working? Yes