This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Phlebotomy in MA school??

An MA school I'm interested in has this under their description of their MA course sequence: "obtaining a history, and assisting with a patient examination. Includes performing and assisting with office procedures: ear irrigation, laser treatments, orthopedic appliances, colon procedures, and screening procedures of vital signs, hearing and vision. Theory, demonstration and practice performing routine office lab procedures. Theory and practice in electrocardiogram.Basic math and principles of pharmacology including safety and preparation and administration of medications. Also covers office emergencies and CPR."

It doesn't mention phlebotomy or venipunctures anywhere....do you think "Theory, demonstration and practice performing routine office lab procedures" is venipuncture in vague subtle way, what would this mean...This is a Community College and I spoke to somone and they say it's not included in this program but she also said EKG isnt either so I knew right away she doesn't know much cos EKG is in the description.....Does every MA program MUST have phlebotomy included???
It should right?...especially if this is a Clinical MA program (not Administrative)....

Re: Phlebotomy in MA school??

I got my venipuncture and injection certification through the California Medical Assistants Association. They taught us both is school but I was afraid I was not going to get enough sticks during clinical so I went to this outside source. I also when to a community college. FYI: venipuncture and phlebotomy are not the same thing. You can get certified in venipuncture and injections in a day course; phlebotomy is a program and requires many many hours of clinical before they become phlebotimist

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing School

Are You Working? Doing free doula service

You should recieve that training in your Hematology class or At least In Pharmacology. Both involve sticking and injection or blood draws.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? just got hired

You should definitely get this information before hand! Usually, and preferably, phlebotomy and venipuncture (blood collection) procedures should be discussed, taught, and practiced in the clinical lab. Also, proper personal protection gear, safe needle disposal, disinfection, and asepsis should be discussed and practiced till you can do it right... especially if you are planning to get certified through the big national certification bodies, such as AAMA, AMT, or NHA.

As far as the latter is concerned, if you want to sit for the CMA, or RMA exam, phlebotomy is a MUST. With NHA, you need it to sit for their CCMA exam (Clinical Certified Medical Assistant), but not for their CMAA (Certified Medical Administrative Assistant).

If you are not interested in certifications *but you should make it your goal!, then you can probably skip the phlebotomy part. Not everybody is comfortable around needles and blood.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Phlebotomy is one of our classes in the MA program I am currently in and one of several classes we take all year. We are a very "hands on" school as we have been practicing on each other since our 3rd week into school. Once we graduate, we will have the confidence and skill to do it on our own. Not all schools do this, but for me personally, this is one of several reasons why I chose this school. This way, when you are ready to go out there, you have the confidence and skills to do this. Phlebotomy takes practice...the more you do it, the better you get at it, just with almost everything in life.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no