This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMA plus x-ray certification

I have only two more classes and an externship before I graduate with an associates in medical assisting ! I am very excited!!! I see alot of ads looking for CMAs or RMAs with x-ray certification. Does anyone know what exactly that entails? I seem to only find information on x-ray technician in my research.

Also, have any of you found it helpful to be a certified phlebotomist as well as a CMA or RMA?

Lastly, is it at all beneficial to take the CMA and RMA tests and become "certified" with both, even though there really is no difference?

Thanks for any input!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: CMA plus x-ray certification

Hmmm...these are both good questions~! I hope our more experienced forum members can answer this!

Jenny

I am a certified phlebotomist and have my cert. in X-ray. I took both at an Allied Health College right after I graduated. Although, they will tell you in school you are certified in both with your CMA credential, I found it helped greatly. Especially when applying for jobs that asked for one year experience! Check allied health schools in your area and goodluck!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN Dec. 08

Are You Working? yes. hospital ER

Yes,schools will give the impression that with the CMA certification,you are also certified in phlebotomy,but it is not true. One of my teachers actually said she was certified in it through her medical assisting certification. It turns out only NHA will give extra certifications(in phlebotomy and x-ray) at the time of testing but the school has to be NHA approved in order to TAKE those exams.

Having extra credentials is a crap shoot though. To get a job depends on a variety of factors. That part may look good on your resume but if the rest doesn't jump out at who is reading it,they will not care that you got certifications in other things.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA,RPT,PBT

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Thanks for the input. Lexi, did you have to go through a full radiology technician and phlebotomy technician program to become certified?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Working? yes

Jos, Yes, I did. Check in your area for the next sessions. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

UGH, I was afraid of that. Hopefully I can do that while working. I cannot afford any more student loans with no income!! Thanks for the input!

I also appreciate the input regarding not being certified in phlebotomy at graduation. Our instructor said that if we can get 50 phlebotomy attempts that we would be certified. Obviously that is not true after looking into phlebotomy programs. GRRR.....

The CMA program i'm taking offers limited x-ray, but not all MA schools do. In fact I have to travel over 30 miles each way to my school because they are the only school in our area that ive found that offers the additional x-ray training. It's a 3 month course and you have to score an 80 or higher in the class to be eligible to take an exam to get certified.

I live in VERY rural area. I traveled an hour and a half each way to school. I also used this on my resume when I first got out to show how motivated I was to future employers!!

Lexi, was that actually beneficial on your resume? Did it help you get a job? I will be traveling 77 miles per day 1.5 hours to get to schools because the schools around my area aren't accrediated. I will be attending Sanford Brown in Atlanta and taking their Medical Assisting program.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Receptionist/Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No