This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i only got 7:50 an hr for my M-A job

the doctor that hired me only offered me 7:50 an hr he said "its more than mcdonalds" i dont think this fair, what should i do?

i told him that some Medical Assistants make 13 an hr he said that is not true as this job dose not warrent that much.

what should i do?

help please

Are You Working? yes

Re: i only got 7:50 an hr for my M-A job

That actually was an insult!!! Considering how much much more than McDonalds doctors earn, and how much their reputation and success depends on their medical office team.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Im kinda in the same boat i only get 8:00 hr
is there anyway to raise our value ?

It really depends on how much you get. What state do you live in? Here in WA, working at McDonalds is minimun wage, but that is 8.07 an hour. So, it depends on where you are, and whether or not you are willing to compromise on the pay to get your foot in the door. Did you become an M.A for the pay, specifically? Because I found out that if you are only doing your job for the money, then in the long run you are not going to be happy with it no matter what the pay is! If I couldnt get a job as an M.A ( and this is the case now), I would take whatever came my way, and a year later I would start to look for new jobs elsewhere, and that way, you have experience under your belt!!! It is an insult, I am not disagreeing with you. BUT! I would maybe tell them, "Look, I really know that I am worth more than that, and I would be happy to negotiate with you on the pay!" You might be surprised to see that they are willing to work with you on that. Whether it is now or maybe you have a 2 or 3 month review and your pay is somewhat dramatically increased. Best of luck.

I live in Detroit, MI I only get 7:40 an hr MI is a very bad place to look for M-A work

the doctor I work for is a very wealthy man and has told us that this job is entry level and to look elsewhere for more money

bad state for M-A work

Wow, that is certainly an insult! I live in Ohio and MA's start out here usually around $12 and sometimes higher if you can do front and back office. The degree I am studying for now, an associates will train me in front and back office.

I really wish other states would get on board and pay more. Also, I am seeing a lot of job ad's requiring that you be certified. I plan on becoming certified, and I am glad more employers are requesting this.

Best of luck in your job search. I have a long way to go as I just started my program over the summer :-)

Missy

Are You Still In School? yes

To Missy

I see you are still in school so obviously you guys are being TOLD that MAs start out at $12 in this state. NOT true. There is an urgent care clinic on Cleveland Street in Elyria that is run by a doctor and his wife and they expect MAs to take $8.50. Needless to say they have a high turnover. I don't know of any of the few classmates I had that GOT jobs starting out at $12.

Phycisians offices that are hospital owned and operated generally pay more. A doc running his own show, will pay less for everyone. I live in the southeast where the cost of living is lower but so are wages. I make $18.00/hr, but I work in a hospital. Ohio is a very depressed market right now.
Company closings, lay offs etc make for a tense market.

Certification for all MAs is the only way wages will ever become respectable across the board.Doctor's that hire uncertified MAS are looking for cheap labor.
Would you go to a doctor that was not board certified?
I wouldn't!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN Dec. 08

Are You Working? yes. hospital ER

good point on being board certified

we have a clinic (i use that term loosely) that hires off the streets and the doctor teaches how to do stuff like injections and blood drawing again mininum wage pay and the place is a dump

someone needs to stop this

i also have NEVER seen 12 an hr starting out or even with experience just sad

Weelllll, I might be shooting myself in the foot here... I'm currently looking in my area and beyond. Are you interested in relocation? to Oregon? BTW minimum wage is more than $7.50

put www.samhealth.org/employment_opportunities into your browser. The CMA/RMAs are listed under nursing & pt care, and are labeled several ways: MA, Medical Assistant, CMA/RMA and PMG CMA/RMA. Good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? not yet

RMA in ohio,

Wow, that is very little pay. I understand what you are saying. But, I have seen several job ads in Cincinnati that state starting pay is $12 an hour so that is where I am getting my information from.

I start my medical assisting classes tomorrow so I will see what they say MA's make. I do know that the more experience under your belt, meaning knowing how to do front and back would mean more money. I would hope anyway.

I hope they start to pay more in your area of Ohio

Ok guys,

I found one but there are other's but most are not listing salaries.

So here is what I found on Careerbuilder now this was listed in August, but just show that they are paying higher rates here I guess

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=ILKGV&ff=21&APath=2.31.0.0.0&job_did=J8E4QG6VBWBWZKGSNRH

I hope the link works :-) Thanks