This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for LPN/LVN (please answer)

hello.
I am an M.A now, but I am going to start the LPN program next year. I am wondering if there are any LPN's that might read this, and maybe help me with a question I have. Do LPN's get to work in Labor and Delivery at all? Where are they needed most? The reason I ask is, I have my heart set on working with L&D. I dont want to go into something if it is not even an option, otherwise I might as well take the extra 2 years or so and do an R.N program.
Thanks a lot.

Re: Question for LPN/LVN (please answer)

Go to this web-site

Allnurses.com

This is where you should post this question.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN Dec. 08

Are You Working? yes. hospital ER

what is wrong with me posting it here? If you don't mind I will keep it here, for there are lots of LPN's who read this forum also.

Why not post it on both forums? You have had this here several days....any answers?

This is a forum for MAs. If you post it on a nursing forum you will get a ton of "nursing" replies!

The answer to your question is yes.I will graduate in December with my BSN. I also belong to several nursing forums. Good luck pursuing your LPN! It will be worth it!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

As a future nurse you would be well served to be on a nursing forum that will serve you from your student years well into your specialty!

At our hospital there are 2 LPN's on the L&D floor, but they mostly man the phones and call lights. There really isn't alot of patient interaction. If you want to work in OB, I suggest going for an RN, or working as a CNA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

In California most LVNs are being phased out of the hospital. One hospital in my area does not higher LVNs at all while the other does hire but only a few. There are many jobs for LVN in specialized care facilities/nursing homes. I have heard of LVNs in OB but I hear they only work post-postpartum and do not work with laboring moms.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA0-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing school BSN

We love to have you here and answer your question. Indeed it may help other medical assistants, so it's good to have it answered here. However, I agree with lexi, that it won't hurt also post it into other nursing forums to get as many answers and different perspectives as possible. It won't hurt.

Why does an CNA get to have the benefit of working on L and D floor, and not an M.A? I don't look down on CNA's but.....the education we get (m.a's) are more extensive and longer...whereas CNA is only a few months. That's too bad.

CNA's are trained in basic patient care which is hospital based. MA's are trained in office style settings; it has nothing to do with the amount of training but the type of training. Have you tried applying for an aid job as a MA? I am finishing up my BSN and have students in my class with aid jobs are not certified nurses assistants. I have heard of MAs working in the hospital, but they do not function as a MA but are given a "tech" title.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA0-C

Are You Still In School? Nursing school BSN