This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New here

Hi everyone...

I am a new person here and a MA student. Just thought I would come on board to see what everyone else is talking about and what to expect as I cross each bridge.

So far I have a 4.0 in my classes... hoping to keep it that way.

Take care

Tami

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Not at this time - looking

Re: New here

Welcome!! Glad school is going so well.Post all your burning questions here....you will get many great responses!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN Dec. 08

Are You Working? yes. hospital ER

Hey thanks.... I have class 4 nights a week... its a blast. Tonight, I had to teach the teacher how to teach... lol it was pretty funny.

Congrats, keep it up, I hope it works for you. I had a 4.0 in my class (4month program)have been looking for employment since my second month and I still haven't found anything. I think my school is one of those "blackballed" school and it's hurting me. I already have 12 years of just administrative assistant experience under my belt so I thought it would be great to add the medical and and become a medical receptionist, file clerk, etc. but I can't even get a call back. I've even been turned away for dietary and food service, is that crazy or what!?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Administrative Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Dont worry.... you will find something. I just landed a part time job at a dialysis center as a coordinator for now. It's going to be a year before I will have my MA... but this is my foot in the door. My boss is an RN, and the company has an RN program if you are interested in Nursing school... the area where I live are hurting for MA's... just keep your eyes open. It will come.

What does a coordinator at a dialysis center do? I have been applying at these centers recently,as a patient care tech,and have not heard a thing back. Did you just apply online,go in and apply,or what?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA,RPT

Are You Still In School? Nope

Are You Working? Uh,no

Basically sets patients up for appointments and stuff. I sent my resume through craigslist for an ad they had running... they called me in and I got the call yesterday. She told me that in a year I could very well end up being a PCT... so we'll see.

Good luck!

If the company is willing to pay for you to go to school for nursing-DO IT! This is priceless.

When I graduate in Dec. with my BSN (which I paid THOUSANDS for, I took out no loasn) I will be making
$30.00 more an hour than I do as an MA. With job security. I am staying with the same hosp. system I work for now. Good luck to you!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Lexi, we all know nurses make more than CMA's....so why do you feel the need to post about it every time you come here? Are you TRYING to keep people from becoming CMA's? What's your motivation? It's hard enough to get quality people into this profession without hearing about your $30 an hour job as a nurse. This forum is about CMA's, not about nursing.

I want to be a CMA because it is a position where I can use my current skills/gifts (administration) while learning new ones (clinical) and do it in a medical environment. I want to be a part of a healthcare team that gives people the best care possible. I know I won't get rich doing this....but I will get something much more lasting--the satisfaction of knowing I am making a difference.

Jenny (sorry about the rant, everyone)

Are You Still In School? yes

I have been a CMA for 6 years. I know the frustration of my peers and of people who post on here because they cannot find a job in a healthcare setting as CMA.

I written to my congressman and taken the avenue of talking to the BON in my state to push for legislature to help medical assistants become licensed not just certified. I work along side graduate LPNs that just finished school, I am training them and they make a higher salary;because they are LICENSED healthcare workers.

Take a look at this message board and other MA forums and you will find an incredible amount of MAs who cannot find work. Shoddy education, "schools" that promise great career potential and salary. Most will find that coming out of school as a new CMA they are not offered more than min. wage.

As CMA who has worked in the industry for six years,has worked in labs as a phlebotomist for three and was a CNA for two years prior, I have the first hand experience to know that others in the medical field do not appreciate working along side unlicensed healthcare workers.( Even hair dressers have to be licensed.)

If someone handed you the opportunity to go to school for free to obtain your nursing degree I am sure you would take it. Nurses, also work as team players in health settings to care for their patients.They also
practice at a much higher scope of practice.You would be compensated for what you are worth. In the state I reside in certified nurse assistants or patient care techs are now trained to draw blood, give injections, do vitals and much more. It really rips me that schools charge thousands of dollars to students who in the end cannot find jobs.

At the end of this month (with other healthcare workers) I will once again be meeting in my states capital to help the medical assisting field move forward. Even after I graduate in Dec. I will continue to try and make this happen because as a CMA I have seen the discrimination that takes place by others in healthcare, including patients "who want real nurse, not a medical assistant."

Get involved with your states chapter of medical assistants and help ensure yours and other MAs futures of being paid what you are worth and get the respect you deserve! I am out there fighting for MAs and future MAs and will continue to do so.

Well said Lexi.

Good Luck, Mrs TLC! Your new position sounds awesome with tons of potential!

Lexi, I apologize...I thought you were trying to discourage people from become CMA's.

My bad.

Jen

Thank you Lexi...

I am excited to embark on my new career in the medical field. I have been wanting to do this for years. Maybe if you want, we can exchange emails and chat sometime? I am an MA student right now.... and will be an RN student in 2 years... :) Can't wait!!

MrsTLC,

Congrats on doing so well. I am also a MA student. I am just starting so I will be in my program for 2 years. I am very happy also to be entering into the healthcare field.

Best of luck to you!
Missy

Hi Missy,

Thanks so much!!! Good luck to you too!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA / Pre-Nursing

Are You Working? Admin. Coordinator @ Fresenius Medical Centers

Hello,

I currently work in dialysis and the coordinator is like the administrative assistant. Sort of like the front desk and what not. Its mostly insurance, transfers, paperwork and occasionally helping out with boxing labs. It is not clinical and you dont work the floor. There is really not much patient scheduling b/c dialysis patients come 3 times a week, usually the same days and times each treatment.Hope that helps some.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Pct/MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes