This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does anyone work TEMP only, by choice?

I've decided I want to do TEMP only for a while... I might add that it's honestly by choice, I've had several places want to "keep me", but I like being a "free agent" more or less...(while $financially able). I was just wondering if anyone else out there has chosen the same route & what it's been like so far. I know there will be pros & cons of course... Just wanted to hear about other people's experiences...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Does anyone work TEMP only, by choice?

As a guy in this filed and looking for 8 years after school I would just like to find a job peroid
be it temp or permanent

I'm sorry Nate...
I hope your luck changes soon...
Some states have it much, harder than others & I'm sorry to say, I think sometimes this field is a little tougher on the guys out there...
I'll say a prayer & keep us posted..

Are You Working? yes

Thanks, but to answer your original question (since i did not) Take whatever you can get.

I know Ive looked for temp work also. but with only an ecternship from 2000-2001 its hard to even get that

I dont want anyone thinking i feel sorry for my self but i just have to state it as it is for a guy in Medical assisting there is very little work out there

IMO, temping would be a sweet gig. If it is doable.

Thinking about being able to dictate your own time off or job assignments, seems like a great deal. It would enable you to accept assignments for a specific period or until _______ happens. You could also get variety in assignments without having to loose a job, assuming you were with a temp agency.

From a employer point of view I would think it would be good too. Imagine not wanting to loose someone who wants to take a time off and go assist with doctors without boarders, and not having to hire someone to keep the office running.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

Here's how it started...
I went to a wonderful reputable Temp Agency run by two highly professional gals. I came in on a Teus. & had a job on Wed. The only problem was that I was looking for part-time (I know, hard to come by) & almost as soon as I started working @ my new job (Dermatology Clinic) they started scheduling me more than I wanted to work (should have given it more thought before accepting). I liked them, they liked me, it's just they really needed me more often than I wanted to work. Soooo, what finally ended up happening is I stayed until they found someone else & now I've agreed to stay in their "call-in" pool (fill in for people who call in sick or go on vacation), on their payroll as well as work Temp for the agency I started out with. Like I said before, I'm not sure how it will work out? I figure it might be feast or famine @ times, but I'm also hoping to have a variety of work experience to add to my resume.
Here are some of the Pros & Cons I'm expecting from the Temp only side...
CONS
1) Walking into "unfamilliar territory" Where did you say the restroom was? You want me to do
what?
2)You don't have to be rude (probablly to a fellow MA,RMA,LPN) I'm not trying to take your job!
3)This place is awefull!!!
4)stressing out hoping they'll like me...
PROs
1)I don't have to stress out, just do my best...if they don't like me..that's their problem (not bragging, but I try to do a really good job for everyone I work for) moving on anyway...
2)Learning new things!!!!
3)If it's REALLY awful I don't ever "have" to come back...
4)As stated before...lot's of varied experience on my resume for when I do want/need a full-time position
I'll keep you all posted on what it's like in reality, thanks for allowing me to ramble...

Are You Working? yes

Forgot two!!
Con..
Having to say no when I can't or don't want to come in...

Pro...
Being able to go to my daughters' schoos play...

Learning how to say NO...

Are You Working? yes

I meant school

Are You Working? yes

Great post!!! I don't have much temp work experience, except one time when I filled in at an internist's office for a medical assistant that went on maternity leave. This was a 4 doctor group, each one with their own medical assistants and nursing staff. They needed someone to jump right in, take over for the MA that was about to leave, and keep everything running until she returns.

Quite a challenge, but doable. However, I must say I was glad when the medical assistant returned to take her old spot (after taking additional time off!). It was a very, very busy office, and at times I felt that it was too much to handle for just one MA.

Which gives me an idea... I would JUST LOVE to put together a web page addressing temp work as an option directly on the MedicalAssistant.net website, or the Medical Assistant Net Blog...

Does anyone here mind if I (may decide) to quote their post? Please say so... And if anybody has some more insight, including pros and cons, please post away. It will help me overcome my writer's block!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

I think that's a great idea! I don't mind if you quote me...(if you decide to). BTW, I was asked to come in this Friday & work for Derm. One of the docs (they're five) packs up & goes to a satelite clinic on Fridays. I'll be riding w/her...she's a really good physician...

Are You Working? yes

I began working agency several months ago and I love it! It fits with my on-going school schedule and if I don't like an office that is not a good fit for me-I do not have to go back. Like Clancy, I have a Pros and Cons list; but the pros far outweigh the cons! I have tried to get other new CCMAs to consider this route. It is an awesome way to get the experience needed if you are just coming out of school!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 5 years)