This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm new here!

I am very happy to find a forum like this :)

I am currently attending an MA program here in Southeast Michigan. I just started this Fall and finishing up my 1st quarter in 2 weeks and so far, I have learned more than I have ever thought I would. I have found this field to be VERY challenging but wow....what a confidence booster!

The MA program is my "stepping stone" to get some clinical experience to do other things in the medical profession. Not sure what, that will be a decision to be made later on but it's definately a start!

Hope to get to know all of you better

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: I'm new here!

good luck in Michigan, what school are you going to?

it is VERY HARD to find medical assistant jobs in the state.

the pay is VERY LOW in SOME places i have seen minimum wage

good luck

Welcome!

Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

From what I have seen and talking to the seniors, our school has been really great about job placements. I really think it depends on where you go to school. As for the wage...it's not the greatest, but it's a start. There is a senior who was just offered a job and is starting off at $12/hr and once she takes her certification exam, she will be getting a raise. I live in a great area where there is a ton of job opportunities and most of those places hire students through our school. They normally dont advertise for job openings but instead hire students straight out of our school.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

any placement director telling you that MA jobs start at 12 dollars is LIEING to u

sorry to tell you

I was offered 5:15 hr in 2006

Welcome, I think it depends on what state you live in maybe.

I live in Cincinnati, OH and Ma's start out at $12 an hour here or more. I just saw a job for a dermatologist office starting at $16-$18 an hour. I have also seen several front office jobs here medical receptionist starting at $14 an hour.

Best of luck to you!

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

hope so,
i had read on a previous post somewhere that a clinic in Ohio was starting their MA's at 8 needless to say the turnover whas/is HUGE

you also need to find out if the 14.00 or 16.00 is full or part time

I agree. It depends on where you live. Here in Orlando, the opportunites are endless. Just speaking to all three of my doctors recently, they all said that MA's are becoming more valueable to them. That can be backed up by the opportunites that are currently open here in Orlando and surrounding Florida. I counted at least 10-15 openings with just a few hours at searching. Most starting off in the neighborhood of 10-12 an hour.
Just to add to the first part of my post here, all three of my doctors said that they would entertain the thought of me doing my externships with them.
Pretty positive stuff if I may say so.

trish,

Starting MA wages totally depend on where you live.

I graduated in June '08, I took the certification test in June also and recently was hired. The system I work for now hires MAs starting at $12.40 if you can prove you are a CMA or an RMA. This is my first job in the medical field; prior to this I have worked in high tech (12 years), Heavy equipment/diesel repair (5+ years), the USAF (8 years) and farming (5 years). I know several of my classmates who were hired for more and a few less than $12, but it is an average CMA/RMA starting wage for where I live.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes