This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to this forum/just wanted to say hi

I just wanted to say "hi" to everyone here at this forum. I just started MA school at a junior college here in Orlando. I have been wanting to enter the healthcare field for quite sometime. After extensive research, MA seem to be the right fit for me. I have read many of the threads on this forum and was intrigued by many of the posts.
Some of my thoughts if I may say so are:
A. Being a man and entering this field will not deter me from accomplishing what I set out to do. I read many of the threads on "where are the men".
B. I was always told that the best way to make yourself noticable in searching for a job was networking. I did that just a week ago when I visited my urlogoist. I told him that I was attending MA school. He said "good for you. You can come work for me once you graduate". I just passed his comment off as a nice gesture to me. His next question got me thinking further. He asked me what kind of salary was I currently making. When I told him, he said that I could make the same if not more. I have an appointment with him in 6 months at that time he said he would see how school is coming along for me.
C. I have read alot of negative comments here as well.
My feelings about people like that are that they are just down on their luck and need an avenue to vent. If you look through their negative comments, you will see that its just a vent of frustration. Perservance is the key.
I look forward to contributing in this forum as I move along with my studies.
I wish nothing but the best for eveyone who are currently in school.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes/outside the medical field at the present time

Re: New to this forum/just wanted to say hi

Welcome!

Sometimes I'm a man of few words, not always.

Today I have a word, Woot!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Hi,

Congrats on your decision to return to school. And networking is a great way to get your foot in the door. I am not a "male" but, I am a female student and I am also very pleased with my decision to return to school and I will be finishing my first quarter of medical assisting in two weeks.

I also agree with what you said about the negative remarks on here. I wish you the best of luck in your classes and welcome!

Missy

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

well i am a male and after 8 years of trying to get into this feild i guess its hard not to have negative comments.

but good luck to all that try,i hope all of you do better than i did

i failed not only in this filed but in life trying to better myself

i DO NOT feel sorry for myself i just state facts that i have learned in my life

Thank you jefff and Missy for the welcome. Returning to school can be a bit overwhelming at times. I just finished my first month with medical law and ethics and finished the course with a 91.5. I'm starting medical terminology this week. WOW!!! A test every night according to my professor. Alot to learn.
I wish you nothing but the best Missy on your endevours.
Just a tidbit to anyone who might be interested. Our professor brought in a former student of hers recently. He told us that he is working in a hospital as a MA. His advice to us was that get certified as an MA first and formeost. Second, acquire as many certifications as possible. He has cerfifications in EKG, Phlebotomy and is working on surgical procedures.
His value is rising as he works towards these certifications. We all could feel his positive vibes when he was talking to us.
The more I'm in class, the more I feel this was by far the best decision.

Hi Russ! I live in Central Florida too. I'm getting my education through a community college program. It's great that we both live in an area where MA jobs are plentious!

Good luck with Med Terminology! I have my final in that subject next week--also in a computer class and an intro to healthcare class. Next semester is Medical Transcription and Anatomy and Physiology!!

Are you on a quarter system or a semester system?

Jenny

Are You Still In School? yep

Thanks Russ,

I have my finals next week for Intro to Medical Assisting, and Medical Insurance. I am taking English Comp online.Next quarter I will be taking basic clinical techniques, medical terminology II, (already did I over the summer) and A & P I.

Best of luck in your studies, you will do great! I actually just went to the Dr yesterday to get my second Hepatitis B vaccine for school and the MA that gave the injection was a male. I see more and more male's in the healthcare field. You can do anything if you really want to and it sounds like you do.

Keep up the great work!
Missy

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Thanks Jenn. Its so nice to know that there is someone here on this forum that is from Central Fla. The school I attend is by quarter. I'm in the middle and up to my head in Medical Terminology. Getting ready for my mid-term on Monday.
I agree about the plenty of Jobs available in MA here in Orlando. Stay in touch and let me know how you are progressing in your studies.
Good Luck!!!

Thank you for the encouragment Missy. I have had a great support network around me to constantly keep me encouraged. Despite what I have read on this forum about males in this field, I have seen first hand males thriving in this field here in Orlando. To me, it comes down to attidude and how you present yourself. I have no intention of letting anything get in my way of achieving my goals as a MA. I have already done some networking and received very positive feedback. My career counselor suggested that I submit my Doctors office to our externship coordinator for a possible externship when I reach that point of my studies. Coupled with what you said about the male MA adminstering your hep b shot, proof that males can acheive success in this field.
Good luck on your mid term. Keep in touch.