This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
should i lie on my resume?

Ok b4 anyone says a word i KNOW its wrong to do so, But with not being able to find a job as a medical assistant with my true experience, what is the worse that can happen? i wont get the job? I'll get fired if they find out?

i think a few things switched will not hurt anytihng not like they can arrest me right?

Re: should i lie on my resume?

Yes, it is called fraud. If you do not have experience in this field (except for clinicals) then get the experience needed, by working for a agecny that will hire newly certified MAs.

I sure as heck do not want ANYONE caring for me, my family, or friends who has LIED about their clinical experience.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

No, not a good move.

My employers HR unit did check my references, call my externship sites, run a background check and perform a drug test prior to extending an offer to me.

There is no reason they wouldn't check any of your claims, schooling, experience, associations... myspace page, weblog postings, volunteer work, the folks you went to Vegas with... no place wants folks working for them who they can prove lie from the git-go. There is no assumption of anonymity in checking a background. So if your are asked, I'd be candid about things you have done. Even if they ask about something you are not proud of, I believe it is best to be honest.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

There are other, and by this I mean more professional and honest, ways to "up" your resume to make it shine.

Ditto to Jefff.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

im just hopeing some office will hire me and i can learn quickly there to make up for it

i do hjave a question for the preson that said there are other ways to spice up my resume. How so?

what are the legal problems that can arise? (im asking cause i MIGHT be in some trouble)

If you live in a community like I do, this would be a really bad move.

Scenario: Two towns, with populations of around 50k, about 10 miles apart separated by a river. Within a 30 mile radius there are many other communities, one with about 40k. There are two class 3 trauma centers and one class 2 trauma center that are part of a large nonprofit medical system, a for profit clinic system, some independent practices and smaller practices sprinkled in the more rural areas.

These folks talk to each other. Managers from many of the practices here know each other professionally and may know each other personally. HR professionals probably have a similar network, these are the folks who screen applicants. Even in a city 10 times larger, than my regional area, you may find the same thing.

Better IMO, network. Join and attend your local AAMA chapter meetings if you have them available. If you are eligible join a service organization. Do not under estimate the power of networking, and what folks know. At the American Legion post I belong to, I can get real estate, insurance, education, automotive, home repair and financial advise; all this knowledge, and more, from the "good buddy" network. Create business cards with your credentials and hand them out as you go about your day, someone knows someone who might be able to use your skills.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

I totally agree with Jefff!

Never try to artificially "up" your resume, and add things that aren't true to polish it. If you exaggerate, or flat out lie, the consequences my be severe without any second chances given.

Doctors and medical office staff relay heavily on networking, and often they belong to the same professional membership organizations, as well as clubs. News travel fast in within their community, and others, such as the pharmaceutical reps, also add their share of talk, and gossip. It is NOT a good idea to fib, even a little bit, on your resume in order to land a job.

Medical Assistant resume writing worksheet
http://www.medicalassistant.net/resume_worksheet.htm

Medical assistant example coverletters and tips:
http://www.medicalassistant.net/sample_cover_letters_and_tips.htm

The chronological resume:
http://www.medicalassistant.net/chronological_resume.htm

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I would be careful lying on a resume, I "polished" a few, and worried later about the them finding out, come to find out, they never did check my references or past employers, some do, some don't...just be careful

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA---student nurse (12/2009)

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Just because you get hired doesn't mean they never bothered to check your references or certifications out. They usually hire you before doing all that stuff. Then if they find out you lied, they will have no reservations about firing you and even suing you especially if you said you were qualified to do something that you already DID (like clinical) that could put someones health or life at risk had you not done it right. Don't lie regarding your clinical or education experience, never a good idea.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? no

actually they CANNOT sue you because it (resue) is NOT a legal docoument

all they can do is fire you

and besides if you mess up its the doctors that responds to it as Medical assistants DO NOT have to carry malpractice insurance

who said it's not a legal document? How many papers have you had to sign upon hire? I have signed many, and it is pretty much a basic on all of them. They clearly state that this is a legal document that you are signing and everything you are claiming is true, and you may be subjected to being fired or more if they find you lied. Scenario one. Let's say someone claims to be a doctor. They then claim to have done minor surgical procedures and before hire, they ask the doctor to do a demonstration of injecting botox. They do so, and they later find that the procedure was botched. the person that had the botox by this "Dr." get's a staph infection. They have every right to sue this "Dr." for many reasons. The same would apply to an M.A who lied about being a CMA and graduating an accredited school. Before When I have gone on interviews, the physicians have asked me to give injections or draw blood as part of a clinical part of the interview. They didn't look up my credentials, didnt pre authorize that I did indeed graduate from the school I claimed to greaduate from, NOTHING. Most assume you did with reason to believe so. So, I disagree. I believe anyone who lies on their resume, and in return ends up causing bodily harm to someone CAN be sued.

in order to avoid being sued and for them to sue the DOCTOR, would be that you would already have to have been an employee already. If you are not one then yes, they can sue you. Not for lying but if you caused any type of harm to someone.

well ive been looking for work for 9 years so im at the point where il ltry anything to get in to a doctors office

hate being a guy keeps me from work

Just wanted to make a short comment on being sued. Even though the doctors are responsible for the actions of their MAs "Respondent Superior"; that does not mean that MAs are not also liable for their actions. MAs can be named in a lawsuit also.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC, CNMA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

I know plenty of male m.a's. I doubt that your sex has anything to do with you not getting hired.

Yes. A medical assistant can be sued. It does not matter if you work under the MD license. Any patient, when filing a law suit, can name anyone of the staff.

Always carry malpractice insurance. For about $50.00 a year, you can insure yourself.Even nurses carry their own mal insurance. A hospital or MD may say not to worry but they can always sever in a court case. Best to CYA!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital ER Clinic for 6 years)

Lexi. for someone who graduated to a nurse, you sure do like to still have your 2 cents on here still. Why don't you go to the nurses forum instead of still wander on here?

Lexi has every right to post on here. Even though she's a nurse now, She worked as a CMA, so she can share her experience with us.

Are You Still In School? yes!

Lexi has every right to be here. She's been here for a long time, and has contributed greatly to this forum, and medical assistants. What I DO NOT like is flaming.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Sure, but when I have questions on nursing she (lexi) tells me to go to a nurses forum. So that's different? If your a nurse, you can talk all you want about things you "used" to do? If I was a nurse, I wouldn't waste time on here talking to M.A.s no offense but I would rather talk to someone who is an M.A at the moment, or a graduate, not a R.N

Hmm, I understand your frustration, however, I have personally asked Lexi to stay here with us, and I appreciate that she is.

As far as nursing questions, she is right... our focus here is on medical assisting.

Questions that are directly related to the nursing profession are better addressed in one of the many nursing forum. She's been here at this forum long enough to know what works, and what doesn't... .

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Don't leave us Lexi!!! You are valueable to medical assistants because of what you have achieved through hard work and determination. Thanks for posting.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

"Yes. A medical assistant can be sued. It does not matter if you work under the MD license. Any patient, when filing a law suit, can name anyone of the staff.

Always carry malpractice insurance. For about $50.00 a year, you can insure yourself.Even nurses carry their own mal insurance. A hospital or MD may say not to worry but they can always sever in a court case. Best to CYA!"

What in my post offends you?I believe we are talking about, "Can MAs be sued?" I answered yes.

As an MA I have always carried mal-practice insurance. My refernce that nurses also carry insurance is because many MDs, hospitals will tell staff not to worry, they are covered under the hospital or doc's insurance. While you may be, it's best to insure yourself. At $50.00 a year, it is no-brainer.

I am very priviledged to have worked as an MA. I loved being in the medical field and challanged myself to go on. I was just offered a position to teach at the community college where I went school for my MA. I will be teaching Introduction to Medical Assisting and second year clinicals rotation. I am actually taking the position of the teacher I had who was an MA/LPN. I have kept my MA certification. I also belong to the AAMA and my state chapter of MAs which I am very active.

When I direct someone to a nursing forum it is because I feel you will get the best answer to your question there. When I am on a nursing forum and someone asks about becoming an MA, I direct them here!

Thanks to Danni for supporting me through school and always being full of encouragement for ALL OF US to be the best MAs we can be!

Thanks Rena! I reaaly do appreciate that! And Jenny, too!

Hi Nate, I know this is years old but hopefully you are still on this site and will read this. Have you tried the Urology groups? I know the tend to hire quite a few of the men here in Texas. Don't give up, you are needed in the medical field and it will happen if it has not already.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant Instructor

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes