This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do Arabic doctors understand worker rights?

Ok first i hate to sound raceist but im sorry i just quit a doctor's office and will file a complaint with the Michigan labor dept.

What happend was that the doctor paid people under the table so that way he can pay $40 a day and of course 10-12 hr days no overtime (i guess we have to be on that payroll first so its a moot point)

when i told him about labor laws he looked at me like he had no clue

no lunch breaks, no pay check (we signed a paper when we came in -and signed out)

is any of this legal?

Re: Do Arabic doctors understand worker rights?

Of course it is not legal, and you know it. That's why you filed a complaint.

The question is, however, not: do Arabic doctors understand... the question is: is he a real doctor? Why is he paying under the table? To evade taxes? To get over? Or to hide that he bought his diploma from a diploma mill? Sounds unreal???? Well, diploma mills make the unthinkable real, and people DO it. Not everybody who you think is a doctor, clergy, or professor actually is one.

Also read: Who is treating you?
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-01062008-1466490.html

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

I would also report him to the FBI (and the IRS.) They will have a local listing in your phone book.(You can do this and remain anonymous) Not only do they care that he is evading taxes, he may be wanted for other reasons; since he is avoiding dealing with IRS by paying employees under the table.
Obviously he does not have Workers Compensation Insurance and is not paying into Unemployment Insurance. All of which are federal laws the FBI would be interested in. Kinda scary to think he probably does not have malpractice insurance either! Or following OSHA guidelines.

This is HUGE can of worms. OPEN it before a patient is harmed.You are not being racist. Any physician (if he is one) working in this manner scares me. Regradless of his race.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

Wow, this is scary!! PLEASE do the right thing and report him before he hurts someone!!

Jenny

I think can understand why or how this happens, not saying it is right in any way.
It is a cultural thing.
They understand full well that we have laws, there may be a gap in understanding, and are viewing laws as suggestions not requirements. It is only a problem if they get caught.
They view their ability to negotiate a shrewd deal or verbal contract with you as good business and you honor it on your word.
I say report it and be on your way.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes