This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
not working

I have a Question about my diploma of medical assistant When i first got my diploma i didnt start working right away so i moved to nebraska and didnt work as an MA so its been 4 years and im back in California and havent found out if i could still use my diploma or what can i do because iwant to start using it but have no experience cant some one help me and answer my ? please.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: not working

Depending on who you are certified with, a CMA has to complete a certain amoumt of CEUs eevery 2-5 years. Have you been doing this even though you were not working? If not, then you would need to re-certify by taking the certification exam over. Check with the organization you certified with. Remember, a diploma just means you finished school. Everyone has to take the cert exam.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

You will need to take the certification exam for California (I've actually been asked to write exam questions for it )
http://www.ccbma.org/
Lexi is right, after that you have to re-certify evey 5 yrs, either by re-examination or by CMEs (continuing medical education)Every one needs 30 basic and 15 in what you specialize in Clinical or Administrative although many are certified in both; either way everyone must have 90 units each:
CCMA-A (California Certified Medical Assistant-Administrative):
You will need 30 BASIC, 15 ADMINISTRATIVE and the remaining 15 can be either
BASIC, ADMINISTRATIVE or CLINICAL

CCMA-C (California Certified Medical Assistant-Clinical):
30 BASIC, 15 CLINICAL and the remaining 15 can be either
BASIC, CLINICAL or ADMINISTRATIVE

CCMA-AC (California Certified Medical Assistant-Administrative, Clinical):
30 BASIC, 15 ADMINISTRATIVE and 15 CLINICAL

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school BSN

thanks for the info.