This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confused

I have a few quesitons about the schools in Atlanta. I just enrolled in Everest Institute in Jonesboro, GA. They told me I can get my certification, but now I'm hearing other things from different people. I have been a medical receptionist/assistant for 12 years at St Jospeh's Heritage Urgent Care and Medical Group in California, but also have done some back office (vitals, triage, documenting, autoclave). I'm not certified nor have I went to school. I was just taught on the job these things, but here in GA I'm hearing that employers want you to go to school. Would this benefit me? Is Everest a good school? schould I just choose the Patient Care Technician program they are offering me also which includes phlebotomy and EKG certification. I'm so confused. I start Dec 17. Please Help.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Receptionist/Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Confused

What confuses you?

IMO employers asking for certification/registration is a good thing.

Many MAs working today haven't gone to an "MA school." They became certified by challenging a test or taking on line classes and challenging a test. If you need practice in a clinical area... I just don't see how an online class can provide that, but you have practical experience already.

Education is never a bad thing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Oh no jeff I was saying that I am confused about the programs. I was wondering which one I should take. The Medical Assistant or the Patient Care Tech. The Patient Care Tech class is 8 months and you can get the EKG and Phlebotomy cert. the Medical assistant class doesnt include those. The other issue is The school says we would have to challenge the board to take the certification exam to become CMA/RMA. Is this right? Can we actually do that in GA? I keep hearing all these different things.

Are You Working? No

I would reconsider going to Everest.....unfortunately I have not heard good things about it. A friend of mine went through the CMA course--it cost her $30,000!!

Yes Jenny I do agree with u. I am going to attend Sanford Brown. They are accrediated by ABHES and I hear they have an excellent MA program. Thanks

Are You Working? No

I don't think you can go wrong with an accredited school. Do they teach the MAs phlebotomy and EKG without certification? IIRC, some phlebotomy and EKG questions were on my test or at least fair game to ask on the certification test.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Yes they do teach phlebotomy and EKG. They recommend you take the test after the 6th module. Thats what I'm planning on doing so I can work as a part time phlebotomist until I finish school.

Are You Working? No