This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Excited About Getting Started

I have a 13-year medical history as a Basic and Advanced Hospital Corpsman in the Navy. Many may wonder, "Why did you get out at 13, instead of just finishing out the whole 20?" I had challenges carrying a pregnancy to term and after numerous testings, we finally were going to have a baby! It tugged on my heart to have to leave this little person after only six weeks maternity leave and go back to sea. After discussing with my husband (a 27-year retired Navy officer), we decided I would stay home with my son. A few years later, along came our daughter and was able to stay home with both of them.
I tried my hand at medical transcription but was disappointed because no one wanted to hire "newbies".
I petitioned through the VA to go back to school for Medical Assisting. I found a local technical college that is not only accredited, but THEIR Medical Assisting Program is accredited through CAAHEP. After finishing the program, I will be able to take the certification program. Last year, I put in TONS of resumes for medical assistant jobs, but the response was that although my resume was impessive, I I did NOT hold the certification that employers required. They were also concerned that because I had been out of direct patient care for so long that I might not be able to perform my duties correctly (giving shots, drawing blood, IVs,vital signs, etc...). I have been reading some of the messages and although I am excited about getting started next month, but I am a bit apprehensive about what lies out there for me. My plan is to finish school STRONG and add this to my previous list of skills from the military and go on to be the best CMA/RMA that I can be! I believe I have done my homework on this, as I did not do as much when I pursued medical transcription. My advice to my fellow prospective MA students, please do your homework. Stay away from those schools that are not accredited; some employers won't hire grads from those schools. I have a friend who spent ten thousand dollars to one of those schools only to find out that employers did not want to hire grads from that school. And they DO bug you and bug you and bug you to go ahead and apply to their programs. I welcome any and all advice from students/veteran MAs. Best to you all... Jaygil

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Independent Duty Corpsman-US Navy

Are You Still In School? Start MA School Jan 2009

Are You Working? No

Re: Excited About Getting Started

Welcome!

If I knew then what I know now... I would have been in the medical field during my time in the USAF.

Further education and letters behind your name is never a bad thing!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes