This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how can this be true?

2008 has come and gone and the prediction were correct while, the U.S. Department of Labor continues to predict that employment of medical assistants is expected to grow 35 percent from 2006 to 2016, much faster than the average for all occupations.

As the health care industry expands because of technological advances in medicine and the growth and aging of the population, there will be an increased need for all health care workers. Increasing use of medical assistants in the rapidly growing health care industry will further stimulate job growth.""

if the above is true how come so many medical assistants cannot find work?

Re: how can this be true?

Wait till President Elect Obama takes office and implements his new health care and universal health care insurance policies. he wants health care reform, so that everybody has access and is covered. This will directly affect jobs. I never doubted that the health care industry is an excellent field, whether in good or bad times, because where there are people, there are doctors, and the need for medical care.

Obama wants:

1.) Quality, affordable, and portable health coverage for all
2.) Modernization of the U.S. Health Care System
3.) Promotion of prevention and stronger public health

If you asked me, the outlook remains good.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Site Admin

how will thi create medical assistnat jobs?

i feel there are TO MANY medical assistant schools pumping out ANYONE and now the field is to saturated

A responsible school will train what the market will handle.

The school I went to had a 16 person per year quota for the rad tech program. If the school helps with placement and they have to spend time and effort to place students that takes away from their $$$ for the program, or the program becomes a drain on the school. Recognizing this and responding to it with class limits is a responsible thing, even if it disappoints a few who are not able to enter a competitive program.

Will a diploma mill have such a valve to control things, doubtful,.., they do get their reputations in the communities they serve.

A sacrifice I had to make was, working in a rural area where there was more need vs. continuing to try and get a position closer to an urban area near home.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Yes or no-Is there a possibility there are more MA grads than there are MA jobs?Like 10 times more? If so, THEN what?

Your pay will reflect what the market will handle...

Are You Working? yes

Well, here is how I think it will work (out):

1.) Quality, affordable, and portable health coverage for all = more people covered, more doctor visits, more work load, higher need for (more!) medical assistants.

2.) Modernization of the U.S. Health Care System = increased need for skillful medical office staff, including medical assistants trained to maintain and operate modern equipment, and apparatuses, and also, implement electronic patient records.

3.) Promotion of prevention and stronger public health = now, what are among of the medical assistant's strongest skills and function in a medical office? Taking vitals (monitoring) and patient education.

That's how I believe, and hope Obama's reformed health care system will create more medical assistant jobs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Site Admin

I hope to see MA's being utilized more in home health in the future as the reform will have people leaving the hospitals sooner and rehabilitating more at home.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? yes

Tracy. They already have home health aids for this. I am not sure if there is much more an MA could do in the home than an MA since the MA works under the supervision of the physician, and in a home health situation the physician would not be there...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

I think Tracy was trying to say that she hopes that MAs will start getting some training in their programs to be able to do home health care, since there are plenty of those jobs. Instead, MAs aren't taught much,if anything, when it comes to aide work so they think they should only do what they were mainly trained for, office work.

Funny how I didn't get an answer to my question.

Yes, CL I believe there are more MAs than jobs. JMHO.

A hospital etc. can employ hundreds of LPNs and RNs. An MDs office only needs one or even a few MAs. Where I went to school (over 1 1/2 hours away) the city is saturated with MAs because there are so many schools in that area. There is no work there for MAs now.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Nurse CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Completed my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

One piece of advice. Move down here to Florida.
I really feel that down here in Fla. is a hotbed for healthcare. Just here in Orlando, they are on the verge of opening 2 possibly 3 major hospitals within the next year. That to me translates into plenty of doctors offices opening up.
I have already been offered "off the record" job possibilities. This is while I'm still in school.
I feel really excited about my future as an MA. I have alot of aspirations to further my education as I progress into the field.

sunshine state here i come im serious how can i get info on jobs there?

i live in michigan but thia BS here is pointless

Nate, just type in healthcare jobs in orlando in your search engine. One website that lists quite a few MA positions is careerbuilder.com. Plenty of opportunity done here.

RussB1402,

Thank you for the tip on searching. I wish I had known that when I was actively looking for work... that would have been a great help. I thought I was doing all I could to get a job but it looks like I missed the boat on that one.

Are You Working? yes

your welcome jefff. I think alot of people would of missed that boat.
Maybe I shouldn't leak out our secret down here until I get a position. HA!!

Anytime I can lend a hand, give a shout.

FYI: another source for plenty of MA jobs is employ florida.com
quite a few on that site as well.