This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need help with questions re: injections!!!!!!!

I need clarity on if i can do injections while doctor is not on site?

ladies, I am a medical assistant, and in my past jobs in GYN and primary care i was ordered to give basic shots such as B12 therapy and testosterone and birth control shots and a few others.

but now where i work they have asked to train me to do some spa injections, and they include botox, restylane and some B12 matobolizer mix. All FDA approved. However, they want to train me so when the Doctor is out i can do it for him.

So, my question is. Under doctors orders, am I allowed to do any injections at any time?

Is this based on hands on training? or do i need to be higher up on the food chain like an RN to be doing these?

I know when i was in scool i was told i was not allowed to start an IV as a medical assistant.

so that statement right there made me wonder if there were things that i legally could not do and if this involved the environment or my certification?

such as can i draw blood anywhere? or in a certain legal environment? I would think it would be environment in this case, becasue i was trained to do venipunctures.

But, these injections i need help....although i am good at the procedure of giving injections, i need to know what i am allowed to do and when and if it matters if they are insurance patients or cash patients in a spa setting....

can you help me???

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: need help with questions re: injections!!!!!!!

Scope of Practice for MA's is different in every state; and in many states MA's can pretty much do what the physician delegates, IF HE IS ON SITE, and the MA has been adequately trained in the procedure. This situation sounds like the beginning of a LARGE cans of worms. I wouldn't touch it if I were you, legal liability is too great and MA's CAN be named in a lawsuit, as well as the physician.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA, MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Can of worms? You bet!!

CMAs can only give injections with the MD on site. MAs CANNOT do Botox etc.

I would guess this MD is trying to get away with not having to pay an RN or NP. Do not do this. The ramifications are endless.Call the Board of Nursing for your state even though you do not practice under them and ask them to explain this to you so you can fill the MD in on what he/she is doing is against the law.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

Well, last I checked I ain't no lady...

As a minimum in MA school we had an RN on site... well she was teaching. So extrapolating to a work setting... there probably needs to be one of them or a doc in the building.

You should probably be trained and comfortable with what ever procedures you are being asked to do.

My doc is an Orthopedic Surgeon. He wants to train me to cast with fiberglass under his eye; but it will be a cold day in he!! before I would feel alright about being asked to give an IA injection, even with him directing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

In my state you can not inject without a physician or an FNP/PA on sight, and the things you listed we are not allowed to inject. Just because you have an injection certification does not mean you can inject anything. Check with your state.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

I meant just because you have an injection certification does not mean you can inject everything

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Hearts is right. MAs cannot "just inject anything".As MAs we MUST be supervised by MDs, NPs, or PAs. As an RN I cannot supervise or be legally responsible for a CMA. I hope this makes sense! What I will say is NEVER do anything a MD etc asks of you if YOU know it is not within your Scope of Practice!!!! I would very leary and hesitant working for a Doc like this. Remember as MAs, We can be sued. Cover your butt-always.

Never get yourself into something for which you are not trained. Scope Of Practice is everything to a medical professional. No matter what level a person practices at, we all have guidelines we have to follow per the law.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)