This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The job market

While attending college, it seems the job market was booming with positions for MA's. Now that I've graduated, it seems that they are few and far between and with so many graduates, it's a rat race to see who gets that one job first. Is anybody else seeing this same trend out there? Any advise? I've done all the online job markets such as MiWorks, Monster, blah blah blah.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: The job market

ye iám,
i live in Michigan as i think you do because of the Miworks you posted lol

the problem (1 that im a guy) and 2nd is that the schools except to many people ANYONE can become a medical assistant through these diploma mills

Hi Nate. I actually went to an Accredited school. I didn't attend a "mill" so to speak, like some schools that rush you through in 9 weeks or less, just teaching you the basics and sending you on your way. It took me almost two years to complete my associates degree. I took six classes my last semester, two of them being a double internship in MA and phlebotomy - a double major. I chose NOT to go through the other schools because I wanted a good background behind me going into the medical profession. I went to Davenport University and yes, I live in Michigan =)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? No

Yes, this long! But please take the time to read and digest. I wish all the CMAs out there searching for the perfect position to find the perfect fit in 2009!

So many hospitals across the US are closing units, hiring freezes on new hires, and even hospitals are closing down. Many people think the field is recession proof-not true!!!

One of the first things to go when times are tough are elective procedures etc. Even my friends who work in private practices say patients just are not coming in for checkups etc. They cannot pay co-pays or if they have lost their job, they have lost their health insurance! I know of one office that let go of the CMAs and hired LPNs because they are LICENSED; not just certified. And, right now a LPN who needs a job will be willing to work for MA pay! This is why I so push for MAs to become licensed professionals!!
Times are very tough economically right now and it is not going to change anytime soon.

My advice (for what it's worth! ) is get as many additional certs as possible to make yourself more marketable than other MAs looking at the same positions. Get involved in your states chapter of CMAs. Write letters to your state senator and congressman about the benefits of MAs being licensed and the benefits to the healthcare field.

Think of it this way-if you were remodeling your home and you had 2 great contractors to choose from-same price for the same work, both with great references-but only one is licensed. As a homeowner you would be crazy to choose the unlicensed professional. You would risk everything. Because licensure means the state that licensed that person deemed them worthy thru a series of exams, background checks, they must carry workmans comp insur. etc. The state that regulates them will allow any complaints against them to be filed and investigated and documented and hopefully resolved. Licensure in healthcare works the same way.

Wouldn't we, as MAs, rather work as and with other MAs who meet criteria set forth by a board that regulates our profession? Just becoming certified as a MA does not ensure someone should be entitled to work with patients in a healthcare setting. Background checks are great but if a MA is fired for negligant care there is no board to answer to! Patients are at risk and so are you if you work with this person by association.

Bottom line: If CMAs were to become licensed and governed by a board of state medical assitants the number of MAs flooding the market would decline-because the bar would be set higher. In doing this jobs for MAs would increase and so would wages. But as long as every Tom, Dick and Mary can go to a diploma mill and obtain a certificate with ease we are a profession that will stay oppressed. Because no one governs us!

When my fellow MAs say they do not wish to be licensed, my brain says hmmmmm. I wouldn't go to an MD that did not have a license to practice and I wouldn't be treated by a nurse whose license had been suspended because their state Board of Nursing would not let them work until the issue was resolved. Yet we wonder why a MD office would hire a licensed LPN over a certified MA. For almost the same pay the MD has the assurance that a state board watches over this person.(Let me clarify there is a difference between what a LPN and CMA can legally do-legally being the key word)

Get involved in your state chapter of medical assistants. Begin a letter writing campaign to make the changes that so need to happen in our industry. The end result is better educated healthcare professionals who possess credentials that are a desired part of a critical healthcare team. This equals jobs for all who are QUALIFIED and pay that meets this standered.

Lexi, BSN, RN, CCMA This is how I legally sign my name. It was explained to me in school that I always put the Bach of Nursing degree first, then I write RN for registered nurse. Becaused I earned the BSN thru college and graduated this can never be taken away from me. It always goes first after my name. But my RN can be taken away by my state board of nursing because the RN stands for my license. This is the credential I must strive to always uphold. A license is not a given-it is earned by taking a national licensure exam and my license is subject to reveiw at any time the state board has justification to do so. This is my hope that sometime in the near future MAs will be able to be licensed. JMHO!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Nurse CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Completed my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

Midii,
what kind of job leads have you had?

my last and to date final interview for an MA position was march of 08 almost a year ago.

Nate,
I don't understand why you're having such a hard time. Are you certified? I have had 3 MA jobs in the last 3 yrs. No problem getting interviews or offers. I could even choose from the best offers. My current position is new due to a move to a new state. I'm not bragging...I really feel for you!My husband is having a hard time getting work now so I know things are hard all over. I guess the old saying is true..."You need experience to get the job but you can't get experience without a job!"

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

yes I'am certified but i hate to sound like a broken record but its hard for a guy to get this type of job.

when a place says were looking for a woman its pointless to even argue, yes i know that is discrimanation (sp) but in the end call it want you want im still not working

Yes, I support Licensing of MAs; however if we are to upgrade the profession, we need to make sure that we present only accurate information. I feel that comparing a CMA to an unlicensed contractor does a disservice to the medical assisting profession and what we are trying to accomplish.

As I have stated in several other posts the ONLY difference between Certification and Licensing is that Certification is granted by a "non-governmental" body and Licensing is granted by a "governmental body". "Licensing" is not better than "Certification"; it is only better to those who think it is so. Just because we have not gotten to the point yet that a License is required for medical assisting, that does not mean that the states don't "deem them worthy". You can read my other comments about how the individual states view the medical assisting profession in the thread about Regulation. Certification and recertification of Medical Assistants also require passing exams and continuing education. Both the AAMA and the AMT have Standards of Practice for MAs and Disciplinary measures for violations of practice. Complaints can be filed with them at any time against a CMA or RMA; and will be investigated and dealt with appropriately. The AMT also publishes the information of those RMAs who have been disciplined. Any medical office hiring a CMA or RMA should contact the Certification agency regarding the validity and status of an applicants credential. The situation of the CMA who made a serious injection mistake should have been reported to the AAMA and he would have lost his Certification. In regard to MAs doing procedures that they are not "licensed" to do; at this point, as you know there is no such thing. The Scope of Practice for MAs varies by state, therefore they may be able to perform the procedure in one state, but not another. Again, you can refer to my posts in "Regulation of MAs" for more information about the various Scopes of Practice. I want to emphasize that I am FOR Licensing of MAs; because it will make it illegal for MAs who are not Licensed to practice medical assisting. We could also have a Federal law prohibiting anyone who is not a CMA from practicing medical assisting, but that is not likely to happen. So yes, let's do everything we can to push for Licensing.

Are You Working? Yes

im so desperate i would take an MA job for minimum wage or less

Nate, Hang in there, Lexi is right....With this recession everything is getting hit...I have volunteered, and kept up with classes and just keep applying.I will say, they say the CCMA's will pick back up soon. Right now where I live, I get to compete with LPN'S, EMT'S and RN's. Its hard out there. And I am running on unemployment. But like I said I am trying not to be discouraged, and volunteer, and go to seminars, etc., I figure they will remember my face, and I also bring my resume!!! Good luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA, Certification in EKG, Certification in Phelebotomy, CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

thx
the problem is that it is going on 9 YEARS since i finished school and still no job

Ive been through the interviews of "we dont want a guy" (wont get into the legality of that)
and the "not enough experience"

i dont want to do this anymore 9 years is enough