This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stuff

Hi all just a few questions. I worked as a vet tech for 6 years, have a CNA licence and worked as unit clerk for 4 years. I moved from NY to va and after 7 months of looking for a job 42 apps later im going back to school. Did I mention I was 36 geesh! anyway. I have alot of medical exp. and hoping to test out of some classes. I will have an associates when im done. ok so heres the big ??? How close is a CMA to an LPN. as a CMA do you get to do alot of clinical {nurseing stuff) how much more schooling would I need to do to get my RN??? thanks sherri in VA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA, Unit clerk

Are You Working? attending miller motte for CMA

Re: stuff

check out this web site on scope of practice.

http://www.medicalassistant.net/can_and_cannot_do.htm

You might match that up with an LPN scope to see the differences, although with your experience I bet you have a pretty good idea.

good luck

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Just want to say thanks Jefff... for your continuous support here at the Medical Assistant Web Forum.

http://assets.bravenet.com/common/images/forum/icons/set16.gif

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Site Owner/Forum Admin

The CMA and the LPN are like night and day, although in the clinical setting they do many of the same functions. To get your RN you will have to take all of the classes required for the RN degree. An RN degree at an associates level takes about two years; that is the program itself, then there are pre-reqs which can take a year in and of itself. Your MA classes do not cancel anything out, but if your MA degree required things like psychology, sociology, nutrition, ect these are a few less classes that you will need to take for the non-nursing classes of the ASN/ADN. I graduate with my BSN in May, none of my MA stuff counted for my nursing degree, although my MA experience helped me get into the program (my program is merit based and one of the things you can get points towards is hands on medical experience), I had to take all of the same classes as everyone else. Its the same for ASN/ADN nursing programs as well. Although you get an AS in medical assisting, most if not all medical assisting classes do not even transfer (non the classes that you had to take for your degree, but the actual medical assisting classes).

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? BSN

Man I dont want to go to school for 4 more years. Im 36 almost 37. Im taking psych, anatomy 1 and 2 physiology medical terminology. money sounds great but I just cant sit in a class for that long. Im freaking about the 2 yrs as it is. I have 3 kids. maybe in another world hmm oh well thanks for all the input

Are You Still In School? yes

Sherrie,
I was reading your post on the other thread and basically, I took the same path you are on at the same age, etc. Now I'm 4 yrs post AOS grad from expensive tech college and have been employed full-time for past 3 yrs as an RMA. Be prepared for a hefty student loan. Mine exceeded $8,000 and I qualified for all the grants. It's the certification employers want, the AOS is meaningless and it won't get you more $$$. Do you know what the job placement rate is at your school?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

The job placement im not sure what rate, I know that if you quit your job due to not likeing it ect they will find you another.also they work with the local hospitals and will get calls requesting next set of grads. they have 4 3 ring binder books on their table in reception area filled with all of their grads, what they took and who hired them after.

Are You Still In School? yes

Don't let school scare you away if nursing is what you really want to do. After I graduated from my medical assisting program I worked full time for two years and then started working 3/4 time and taking my nursing pre-reqs. It was a nice break from school and I was ready to go back by the time I applied and got into the nursing program. I am a fifth year senior so I know how you feel, I graduate in May and I can not wait!! I plan to go on for my Masters, and I am sure working a few years and taking a "school break" is just what I need. Maybe that is something you should consider.

"Be prepared for a hefty student loan. Mine exceeded $8,000 and I qualified for all the grants."

I am sorry, but no medical assisting program is worth that...you will be taking a long time to pay back that loan with the small amount that medical assistants pay. Doesn't your local JC have a medical assisting program? I got my AS degree for just over $1,200 tuition (not including books). If I had gotten my RN from the JC (Associates of Science of Nursing)it would have only cost me $1,540.00. Its only costing me about $12,000.00 tuition for my Bachelors of Science of Nursing at the State College.
Tech schools are over rated. You can get your LVN (licensed vocational nurse) for only $1,200 at my JC