This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First day of school

Wed was my ffirst day of school. I was so aggrivated at the young students who get there education all payed for and dont take it seriously. I was trying to pay attention and they were disruptive yelling things out talking while the teacher is trying to give directions. I died laughing though, 2 of the girls had just gotten there fake nails done and were talking about it and the teacher went over the dress code. NO FAKE NAILS, dangly jewlery, ect and they balked and the teacher said this is the career you chose we arent here to look like tammy faye baker ha ha ha ha too funny.

Re: First day of school

We had a gal with fake nails in my class... she had a reason, she was rodeo royalty. She did all the prep and even groomed and cleaned after her horse with those on. When her responsibility ended she had to relearn to type, she was used to them finger extenders. Then term she quit. She changed programs and went to another CC for an RN degree, what she really wanted anyway. She really didn't expect to be able to do the job with the fake nails anyway.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Sounds like my school! If your school has internship/placement you will stand out among students like that and get hired before them.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

This kind of thing wouldn't be so much of a problem if they would raise admssion standards in MA programs; so that ONLY the SERIOUS students would get in.

I'm sure that IF that girl got into the RN program, she was crushed to find out she couldn't wear nails their either. LOL.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Rena, I so agree. I got an email from a friend today who said she was considering MA school. Her problem? She does not have a GED and thinks it is ridiculous that the school is requiring one! She does not think she can pass it but feels she can excel in school for MA! "bangs head"

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Nurse CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Completed my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

Everest in Michigan dose NOT require a GED they have quote "ways to get around it" and i wonder y i cant find work lol

btw
i finished high school lol

Sherri,

I just started school a week and a half ago and am having a BLAST!! So far, alot of it is review; I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy. About the fake nails, I have to admit--I had them put on before school to have what I thought was a more "professional look", only to have our instructor tell us, "No artificial nails." At first I was resistant to this, but quickly realized is it worth getting a possible lower grade for not being prepared for class/labs/clinicals?? I was not about to have points taken off any projects because I was reluctant to get rid of my nails. I had them removed and all is good...

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I also recall the talk about fake nails, jewelry, fragrance, make up, etc. on the first day. However, my instructor, who was giving this talk, was wearing fake nails and did so continually. She did not teach clinicals though.

Are You Working? y

Just curious..do most schools require uniforms?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Esthetician

Are You Still In School? Planning on MA school in September

Are You Working? Yes

Mine does--white pants, white duty shoes (can't have velcro or laces), and a polo shirt with the school name embroidered on it.

Jenny

My school does as well. We are required to wear teal scrubs. They actually issue a pair to us when we start.

"white pants, white duty shoes (can't have velcro or laces)"
This is ridiculously picky. No laces? I never heard of such a thing at a school or work.

Are You Working? y

The reason for the no laces or velcro rule at my college is that they tend to harbor bacteria. It also says that Crocs are acceptable as long as they are the healthcare professional ones(I assume they mean no holes).

my first day was similar to that. There were soooo many people calling this 1000 year old lady a b**** and cracking jokes about her breath as she was lecturing. All this teacher had talked about was how she helped people out her whole life and volunteered and how she loves what she does.

I totally would've preferred fake nail whining over that direspect lol.

Every one of those people that were talking like that ended up dropping out sooner or later though.

Everest doesn't require a g.e.d to get in but you do need it to become certified.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Working? no