This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
where can i volunteer?

I want to see if there is anywhere in S.E Michigan where i can volunterr my time to get experience for a medical assisting job?

I work from 7:30 am to 4pm M-F SO it would have to be after 4pm (if a office or a clinic has a late night) or better yet Saturdays.

It has to be in a back office or front office setting.
Giving coffie to people in the hospital is nice but it dose NOT translate to a job in a doctor's office.

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know.

PS
im still willing to relocate even if the pay is minimum wage

Re: where can i volunteer?

Nate, have you thought about getting your CNA? I know this is a round about way to a job. It has been a while since you graduated from school and i think employers may be looking at this. Many long-term care facilities offer CNA course for free-usually last for about 3 weeks and then you become employed there. This would help you get back in the swing, give you a bump on your resume. have you kept up your CEUs?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Nurse CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Completed my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

i WILL LOOK INTO THAT HOW DOSE A CNA DIFFER FROM AND MA?

ITS FUNNY YOU MENTION THAT ABOUT BEING OUT OF SCHOOL FOR A WHILE AT ONE POINT THEY DIDNT WANT NEW GRADUATES NOW MY SKILLS ARE 2 OLD

I was wondering why you haven't thought of taking an EMT course either.

Check this out. Also, there are some forums you could look at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_Nursing_Assistant

The reason offices do not want new grads is because they want an MA who can work soley on their own. I think you need to start thinking in the direction of CNA. You can add your schooling for MA with your CNA experience after you have worked for a while. I worked as a CNA before I became an MA. Furthering your education in healthcare will do work for you! Have you kept up your CEUs for your cert?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Nurse CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? Completed my BSN December 2008

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital Clinic for 6 years)

Nate,
My circumstances have changed...
short story as of yesterday I'm not working or elaborating at this time...
I'm:
1. hitting up all my school peeps, networking.
2. looking in to related employment where I can use my skills, rub elbows and meet people.
3. Got a lead on a "reserve FEMA" thing, through the good ole boy network.
4. I'm going to contact the managers from my externship sites and my PCP, you never know maybe they golf with a doc that needs someone trainable and willing.
5. positive this is temporary.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Dang, Jeff, sorry to hear that! I know how difficult it was to get the job you had!

Nate, have you considered Florida? There are many CMA jobs down here!

Jenny

Are You Still In School? yes!

I agree with Jenny. I feel Florida is a hotbed for healthcare. Just alone here in Orlando, two new hospitals are opening up within the next year or two.
I have been watching the employment ads on various websites. I have to say that there are plenty of MA positions that need to be filled. I just found out from my school that there are not enough MA students to fill all of the externship requests. I think thats a pretty good indication how things here are in Florida. I would strongly recommend Nate, to start to investigate Florida as a possible job search. You said you were willing to relocate.

im there ill go for next to no pay just to start out 7-8 hr is fine with me

anyone got links for jobs down there in the medical assisting filed?