This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
online Medical Assistanting school should be investigated

I worked an a Medical Assistant Instructor in theory and laboratory, clinical, and adminstration. I loved what I did and my former students that took the certification test have passed, I took time out of my days even when I knew I was being laid off to make sure that my students were understanding what the field has in store for them .
I see these schools online class no in class instruction, no laboratory time. How does that work in real life. I can read all the accounting books in the work and that wouldn't make me an assountant, it would make me well read, this is the problem current Medical Assistants are having with job searches if one makes a deadly misstake we are all responsible. Just because the school is "accredited" does not make it a good school, and it makes it a liability and should be held responsibly for the students that they turn out onto the streets.
Some Internet classes ok, Medical Terminology reading writng, but clinical needs to be don't in view of someone with approiate training to teach, not and "injection pad" and a book

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RPT

Are You Still In School? yes, always

Are You Working? sort of

Re: online Medical Assistanting school should be investigated

These are not accredited. I just can't see someone learning injections or veni's online then getting a diploma. you certainly can't get a degree, there are no M.A degree's. Online, they might be able to greaduate a M.A.A (medical administrative assistant) but not an M.A

Did you say you were an instructor? Where did you teach? And why were you laid off? Was it the economy?

Are You Still In School? yes!

Helpful Tips:

http://www.certmedassistant.com/on-diploma-mills-and-pitfalls.html

http://www.certmedassistant.com/bogus-certificates-and-degrees.html

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

I totally agree, not every career should be given online. I do not understand how can someone give injections and BP's while taking classes online.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student MA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

I am currently taking online classes at Kaplan University. We have to complete 40 hours at a clinical site, where we perform laboratory procedures, vital signs, venipuncture, etc. Last term we complete 160 hours externship at the same clinic. So this is how Kaplan online students get their hands on training.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

kendra
I am currently taking online classes at Kaplan University. We have to complete 40 hours at a clinical site, where we perform laboratory procedures, vital signs, venipuncture, etc. Last term we complete 160 hours externship at the same clinic. So this is how Kaplan online students get their hands on training.

Which is a very good thing!!! Yay!!! Go Kaplan! Go Kendra!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Admin/Site Owner

momique
I worked an a Medical Assistant Instructor in theory and laboratory, clinical, and adminstration. I loved what I did and my former students that took the certification test have passed, I took time out of my days even when I knew I was being laid off to make sure that my students were understanding what the field has in store for them .

I see these schools online class no in class instruction, no laboratory time. How does that work in real life. I can read all the accounting books in the work and that wouldn't make me an assountant, it would make me well read, this is the problem current Medical Assistants are having with job searches if one makes a deadly misstake we are all responsible. Just because the school is "accredited" does not make it a good school, and it makes it a liability and should be held responsibly for the students that they turn out onto the streets.

Some Internet classes ok, Medical Terminology reading writng, but clinical needs to be don't in view of someone with approiate training to teach, not and "injection pad" and a book

There are even some on the Web whose accreditations are completely fake. Just like diploma mills, there are accreditation mills where you can literally buy your school or program accreditations and post it to a website.

There is one in particular that pops in my mind. They have a quite convincing blurb on their website, and promise that for a few hundred dollars you can become a medical assistant in just a few weeks, if you sign up for their online course.

this one, however, has a quite negative BBB rating, but people still go for it.

So sad, and frustrating! Consumer beware.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Admin/Site Owner