This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why Did You Become A Medical Assistant

why did you become an M.A? What is the best experience you have had while one, and the worst? I am doing a piece in the paper and need as many responses as possible. Thanks so much!!!

Re: Why Did You Become A Medical Assistant

I became an CMA because I was pretty sure I wanted to become a nurse but I did not want to spend 4+ years getting my degree to find out I did not like the medical field. The medical assisting program was only one year, I figured it would be an easy and quick way for me to get a taste of medicine and see if I liked it; I loved it and will graduate with my BSN in May of this year.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

i regret this career choise 9 years of looking is Bull**** (i cant sugar coat it) id take a 6 dollar an hr M-A job right now if i could find it

id change my sex (lord knows being told i cant have the job cause im a guy sucks)

im just tired of it i regret the 10 grand i spent on school to never work in this field

I could get an MA job today if I wanted to. I do not understand why people can not get jobs. What does your resume look like? How do you present yourself in an interview? Anyone can get into and out of a medical assisting program but not everyone can get a job as a medical assistant. Not having a glowing resume, even if it is a simple typo is going to get your resume throw out right away.

consider yourself lucky than that you can land work so easily

my resume looks great no typo's i present myself very well in an interview (i was once asked to leave because they were expection a female, no lie)

so i dont know what to tell you in my opnion if minimum wage went away i might get my foot in the door

i can get a job anywhere but as a medical assistant :(

That is totally illegal to not give you the job because you are a male!!! You should have reported them!Have you considered going back to school and becoming a nurse? Public Health and Free Clinics tend to have a high turn around rate for MAs but do not pay well. What area do you live in?

I live in michigan Warren to be exact

i know its illegal to do that but i have no say it wont help to report them i still wont get the job plus i cant afford legal costs

i dont mind not being paid well ill work for 5 an hr as an MA just to get in the door

i hate to soud full of excuses but i cant afford nor able to take money out for school cause my credit is shot because i defaulted on my student loan for medical assisting

i just want to be an MA with my training thats all

It would not cost you any legal fees, you just turn them into the labor board and the better business bureau. Your not far from Detroit and Troy, look at these there are a few close to your home:
http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search.aspx?q=Medical+Assistant&image.x=0&image.y=0#q=Medical%20Assistant&cy=us&where=Warren%2C%20MI&qlt=1324775&qln=969723&lid=470&re=95&pg=1&dv=1

thanks for the info i do check that site alot
the one post asked for 4 years in an O B setting so im out lol

ill see what the labor dept says (i doubt its anything)

ive applied at amily practices(they are the worse to hire guys IMO) chiropractos office cardiologists (sp)
and anything else you can think of

9 years is a very long time and after fileing for bankrupturecey a few years ago i cant apply to go back to school

my last M-a "job" was my unpaid externship in 2001

ps
sorry for the spelling typo's i was in a rush to type

Nate,
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm telling you, Florida is hot for MA's. Infact, a new poll was conducted here in Florida and they listed the 5 top industries that are still hiring here in fla. Healthcare of course was no. 1. Within that, they listed 3 positions that were hiring, nurses, medical assistant's and home healthcare. Dude, stop feeling sorry for yourself and start looking down here via the web. I sent you about 4 websites to start looking at. I know for a fact, there were some MA positions opened on those websites. I don't know what else to tell you. I won't bother you anymore about Florida.
It's up to you now. You said you were willing to move. Hope you take this advice and start looking.

i have applied for everything you sent, and i thank you

the responce? mostly "lack of experience" and that they want me to live there no "local people familiar with the area"

ill keep trying though

What about a urologist office?

I have applied and followed up with several of them.
nothing came of it

if only minimum wage went away maybe someone would take me in for say 2-3 bucks a day and train me but with it being so high 7:15 hr and my skills not being worth that i cant find work

i would even pay the employeer up to 50 bucks a day to get into an office

ill keep looking

thanks for all your posts that are referenced to my question! u rock. Im still open for more answers.

Nate, I'm wondering if the fact that you graduated eight years ago and haven't worked in the field is putting employers off. Maybe they think your skills are rusty now. Just a thought.

Are You Still In School? yes!

Jenny may have a good point, many nurses have a hard time getting jobs at hospitals after taking time off for a couple of years. Maybe you could look into a review course, or talking with an office that will let you precept and retrain with one of their MAs

What I would do is take a phelbotomy course, it's only weeks longs. Or a CNA course that is 8 weeks long.

phlebotomy courses are now longer than 8wks, the require extensive # of hours of practice before certification; and no one was grandfathered in.

Nope here it is 8 weeks. It's not brain surgery. I don't think it warrant's being longer than 8 weeks.

I've been thinking about this one for a few days. I started out taking pre-reqs for the RN program but it was taking forever and I started thinking about working holidays, weekends and/or nights. That's when I sold out to medical assisting. I think I made right choice. I can't complain about my pay or benefits and I like using all the medical knowledge I've acquired to work with pts. I've become a critical thinker in the process and have a really warped sense of humor due to what I've seen and heard over the last few years! My best friend is a critical care RN. We were in school at the same time. I do envy her skills and responsibilities but wouldn't want to work nights like she has to. (Hiring freeze on days)I wish you luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y