This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CERTIFIED AND REGISTERED

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

Re: CERTIFIED AND REGISTERED

There isn't

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital ER Clinic for 6 years)

There is so, 6 or half dozen.

I also have two kids in there early 20s in my house that will argue about dust and dirt. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Yes, there is so a difference.

Please enlighten us, dotdotdot.....

Are You Still In School? yes!

The difference between Registered and Certified is that even thought both are "certified", they have both been granted through different certifying bodies. Some grant a "registered" credential, others give a "certified" credential to distinguish one from another. THe exam for the RMA is given by AMT, to sit for than exam you have to have 5 years experience on the field to take the test.

'THe exam for the RMA is given by AMT, to sit for than exam you have to have 5 years experience on the field to take the test. '
Or...you can take the test after graduating from an accredited school. Same as taking the AAMA test. There is no difference.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

Thank you, Rena! Always love to see you on the forum!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Our forum website owner/admin posted this in 2007.
Thanks Danni!

Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

CMA and RMA are just two different credentials from two different certifying sponsors, one is the AAMA, the other is the AMT. Both certification exams attest to the certificant's knowledge in the clinical and administrative areas of the medical assistant profession.

I also agree that AMT is the better of the two as far as professonal membership and support. AMT has done a great job keeping their certification rules and requirement open to real people. I almost want to say the "average guy" but that would be a little confusing to put it that way, because they also have expectations to meet, and a reputation to keep.

However, yes, they recognize that a person who might not have the diploma from an accredited school, but has many years of experience and training, and continuous employment under his/her belt should be allowed to sit for their examination exam. And why not???? Just because one graduated from school, and passes the exam, which consists of multiple choice questions, or one worked for years, and passes the exam, means the same thing to me = the person has demonstrated that they are qualified to do the job!

AMT also recognizes the skills of our military personell, such as the medics, which are WELL trained, and should indeed be given the satisfaction of working as medical technologists when they leave the Armed Services.

AAMA wants to portray the image that CMA's are distinguished from the rest. Which, like it has been put so well, it's actually not much of a difference at all --- if any. Hopefully, over time, AAMA won't loose focus on what certification is REALLY about.

Very well put, Lexi. I have run into 2 CMA's in my 3 yrs. of being an RMA and was told by both I was 'not really certified' Ignorance or arrogance?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

BOTH, Rena!

"thanks, Rena!"

"thanks, Lexi!"

"no thank you Rena!"

"No thank you, Lexi!"

you both are so passive aggressively arrogant.

There is no difference but there is a difference in
getting certified.

ALso, there is a difference in nationally registered M.A and just an M.A

Dot, Perhaps you would be happier on a different forum. The stance you are taking is one of great hostility and general unfriendliness.There are several forums on the web that would meet your current needs.

Lexi, Dotdotdot won't be coming here anymore for a while.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

THANK YOU!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Thank you!

I know this must be quite a blow, Danni. It has to be really disheartening to see such juvenile actions on a professional board that you have worked so hard to promote and maintain.
Please know I appreciate all your efforts to maintain this site and make it the best it can be for all of us that strive to be or become great MAs!

Thank you, Lexi

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Those who have been here with me for a long time (this includes you, too, heartsopenwide) know that even though I may not get involved too often as the forum admin, I DO READ each and every post.

However, today I did feel compelled to spring into action. I posted two polite hints to Dotdotdot, which sadly, she somehow missed. They were:

a.) I personally asked Lexi to stay
b.) I don't like flaming

... End of story.

Kudos to you, Lexi! As I was standing by quietly in the back... all I could think was: "Lexi, don't bite, Lexi don't bite!". Good job. You didn't.

'nff, said!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

I myself am a CMA. But as a patient I would gladly see a CMA or a RMA As long as my care provider knows their business and treats me with respect and complete compentcy I have not regrets either way. I worked with a registered and she treated me no different. I learned alot from her that in my classes I did not. Kudos to both the CMA and RMA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/AAMA

Are You Working? no