This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i have a job

i got a job in Boca Ration Florida for a Cardiologist (sp) office

the pay is a tad low (6:00 hr) but its a chance to get some experience. i agreed to it because it is a foot in the door

i start monday so ill get a place here and see how it goes

Re: i have a job

Oh, thank God for this!!! I am so glad to hear this. Congratulations to finally getting YOUR chance to shine as a MA. Good luck, Nate.

Keep us posted.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Isn't minimum wage more than 6 hr?

i agreed for less (goverment has no right telling me how much i can make) like i said its a foot in the door

Nate, it worries me that you are working for a Cardiologist who is already asking you to work in a manner that is not legal. What kind of MD would have employees working under the table? Paying into social security income tax is a federal law and he is breaking that law.

Cardiologists make around $250,000 a year. A cardio in Boca would be doing very well. It would anger me to be offered min wage to answer the phone for this MD let alone to work under the table. Especially when rents in Palm Beach County are around $1,000 a month.
I lived in Palm Beach for several years. It ain't cheap.

I know you are very excited to finally get a position. But if you are working under the table, it's as if there is no employee, therefore no resume.
If you can stay at your uncles, keep looking for a job where they will respect you enough to at least pay min wage.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital ER Clinic for 6 years)

Congrats Nate! Ask for a 30 day evaluation for a 'cost of living' raise. It's expensive to live in Boca Raton. Enjoy the sunshine.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

SWEET!!!

Now you are in the game.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

you agreed for less? wow what a sell out.

the MD said he will pay by check but the point is that IMO min wage kept me from working. he offered my 6:00 hr. but we both agreed min wage is un fair to anyone because we should be able to set our own wage. just how i see that

this is NOT about money i DID NOT sell out, i got my foot in the door.

he did tell me that after 90 days i will get a review and than maybe a dollar raise. but right now i dont care how much i get it was an agreement between me and the doctor and the minimum wage just hinders that
i filled out tax froms and i will recive a regualr payroll check

im just happy to be working, thats all

You don't have to justify anything to dot,etc. The MD is taking advantage of you. After 90 days, you should ask for $12.00/hr. You will then have the experience AND EDUCATION. I started my 1st job in Southwest FL at $11.80 with health insurance included. I found that when I showed up on time everyday, didn't call out sick, and took initiative to learn everything I could, my employer was thrilled. BTW, this was a PCP MD. Cardiologists are rolling in reimbursements!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

Rena gave you great advice, Nate! Go to that new job, kick butt and good things will come your way.
When do you start?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

CONGRATULATIONS NATE

I know how long you've wanted this, and I understand you wanting to take advantage of getting this experience. Get all the experience you can and move on to where you can earn the money you deserve.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC, CNMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Congrats Nate!!!!

Didn't I tell you how hot florida is?? I think you are taking the right attidude about just getting in to start. Experience will pay off in the long run for you. Keep us posted. I'm in Orlando.

Nate, Let us know how you are doing. Have you moved yet?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Just curious...Is anybody else receiving duplicate email notifications the past couple of days? It's really annoying.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC, CNMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Congrats Nate! Best of luck to you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No