This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lexi, how does one get licensed?

I read your long post about the benefits of becoming a licensed MA, but I don't think you mentioned where or how to obtain that credential.

Also, read some of the posts here about being registered versus certified. No one really said which one is better. There seems to be a lot of feedback on many of these topics, but I feel as if much of it is glazed over with a lot of trivial quibble. Just please, anyone who is experienced, state in one sentence which credential is better, then I'll be able to sleep tonight. Thanks.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical transcriptionist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Lexi, how does one get licensed?

As of now there is no licensure for MAs.

I am posting what our Forum Owner posted in 2007 about Certified VS Registered. Re: CERTIFIED AND REGISTERED

Our forum website owner/admin posted this in 2007.
Thanks Danni!

Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

CMA and RMA are just two different credentials from two different certifying sponsors, one is the AAMA, the other is the AMT. Both certification exams attest to the certificant's knowledge in the clinical and administrative areas of the medical assistant profession.

I also agree that AMT is the better of the two as far as professonal membership and support. AMT has done a great job keeping their certification rules and requirement open to real people. I almost want to say the "average guy" but that would be a little confusing to put it that way, because they also have expectations to meet, and a reputation to keep.

However, yes, they recognize that a person who might not have the diploma from an accredited school, but has many years of experience and training, and continuous employment under his/her belt should be allowed to sit for their examination exam. And why not???? Just because one graduated from school, and passes the exam, which consists of multiple choice questions, or one worked for years, and passes the exam, means the same thing to me = the person has demonstrated that they are qualified to do the job!

AMT also recognizes the skills of our military personell, such as the medics, which are WELL trained, and should indeed be given the satisfaction of working as medical technologists when they leave the Armed Services.

AAMA wants to portray the image that CMA's are distinguished from the rest. Which, like it has been put so well, it's actually not much of a difference at all --- if any. Hopefully, over time, AAMA won't loose focus on what certification is REALLY about.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital ER Clinic for 6 years)

Thanks for the response Lexi. I was thinking of going for the certification, as well as learning and getting certified in phlebotomy. What else do you think would help in ensuring that I have excellent changes of getting hired?

I'm not an MA yet, just looking into it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical transcriptionist

Are You Working? yes

Ellie,

It really depends on what is most common in your area. Some areas only hire CMAs, not RMAs. One is not better than the other; some employers just have a preference for one over the other; because for some reason they feel there is a difference. In my area RMAs are not hired at all.

I personally would like to see all MAs be required to be certified by either organization in order to be licensed by their respective state. Here, nursing assistants take a certification exam, administered by a private organization and they are then licensed by the state as a CNA.

Currently each state has their own Scope of Practice and regulations for MAs; which I have posted before. Writing to your state Medical Examining Board in support of licensing and a uniform Standard of Practice for MAs is an important step to upgrade the profession.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC, CNMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes