This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are there any old people working as MAs?

I ask because I'm old. Well, 51, but to all those young people out there working in the doctor's offices, they may consider me old. Despite my age, I'm very energetic with my running and kick boxing (watch out, I've got a pretty high and mean kick!), and I love learning new things. My mind is pretty sharp and try to keep my life full with new and exciting adventures! I've worked as a medical transcriptionist for 5 years now but looking into a new medical venture, such as medical assisting. Do you think my age will affect this profession in a negative way? Don't beat around the bush now, just give it to me straight up.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical transcriptionist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: Are there any old people working as MAs?

Do not worry. MAs come in all shapes, sizes and AGES!

Really, no sweat. I find when hiring that a lot of offices/facilities want someone who is stable in their life, responsible and life experience can only give you an advantage.

You Go Girl! Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital ER Clinic for 6 years)

I am also "old" and employers are realizing that we older workers are a benefit due to our experience and maturity. We also are more sure of what we want than younger workers who may be fresh out of school. I just received an email today about a study that was done regarding second-degree nursing students; and basically the results showed the characteristics above. Olders workers have had the opportunity to work in many fields and therefore feel less restless and likely to leave a position. That means less turnover costs for an employer and we all know that money is always the bottom line. That's not to say that older workers don't still experience age discrimination, they do; but employers are reconsidering long held attitudes about older workers.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC, CNMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Me too, me too! I'm 51 and I've been working in the field for 4 years. The RN in our office is around my age. Other than that, ages range from 27 to 40, there are 6 MA's.

I actually get a kick out of the "girls" as I call them in our office. They're always whining about their aches and pains....I keep asking them what they're going to do when they get to be my age...lol.

I don't think age is an issue. I've been at the same job 4 years and have missed one day due to illness. We won't even go into how many days the younger girls miss due to being ill or their kids being sick so they have to call off. I'm not getting down on them, those are just issues that come up when you have little ones. Employers do value the stability that comes with maturity (not necessarily age).

Good luck to you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Yes

I am 47, and went back to school for Esthetics 3 years ago. I find clients assume because I am "mature" that I have many years of experience. I plan on attending MA school in September because I want to work for a Dermatologist or Plastic surgeon, and really think age is an asset at this point.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Esthetician

Are You Still In School? Planning on MA school in September

Are You Working? Yes

I'm also counting on my age (45 at graduation) to be an asset rather than a liability. My instructor already sees me as a mentor for the younger students, and I haven't even started clinicals yet!

I think employers will see us "older" MAs as stable, mature workers willing to get the job done!

Jenny

Are You Still In School? yes

I am glad to hear an encouraging word. I will be 41 or so when I graduate to Medical Assisting and billing/coding. I am finishing a transcription course now and feel like maybe I will finally be able to do something with my life. I worked in the medical field as a Medical Secretary for 15 years and then opted to be a stay at home mom for a while. My children are 16 and 17 now and I am ready to go back to work full time as soon as I complete the schooling. Thanks for letting me know that there are others out there that have been able to do this successfully.
Beth

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Secretary

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

I'm 48 and will be when I graduate in Sept. I was informed by our externship director that she see's this type of trend taking place. Where they prefer mature age over younger. I'm with the rest of you.
I'm counting on my age to be an assest then a liability.

I don't know if this a sign of youth of just not caring. My son had to have his ears cleaned out by an MA (I asked her title). The piece that is inserted into the syringe was dropped on the floor. I waited to see what she would do, and when I saw she was going to use it, I asked her to replace it with a clean one. She said they only have one...that she could wash it off. I then wondered if anyone wiped off the earprobe before using it again and again..probably not. I am sure there are young and old that care, and those that don't. But I would tend to put more faith in someone older..thinking they are more experienced.

Are You Working? Yes

I think I'd have spoken with the office manager about that. I know my office manager would want to know if one of us had done something like that...ugh...

Are You Working? Yes

Right! And instead of needing maternity leave, I just need a day off for a colonoscopy every 5 or 10 yrs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

Rena -

Are You Working? Yes

HAHA Rena! :)

Jenny

Are You Still In School? yes

i'm a 59 yr male. grad in dec. 08 and just finished my internship. will be looking for a job. hopefully with my background i'll get one.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: L.P.N. - M.A.

Are You Working? no

Mitch,

What is your background?

Are You Working? Yes

Beth,
i've been in the medical field since 1973. my first job was a ekg tech,next as a Par orderly, house orderly and 29yrs as a L.P.N.on med surg units with specialties in respiratory and another med-surg with urology.

Are You Working? no

You were an LPN and then....?

Are You Working? Yes

An then? i'm a m.a. and soon to be registered.

Are You Working? no

Mitch,

Just curious why you went from LPN to MA?

Are You Working? Yes

that's what I meant also.

Are You Working? Yes

Yeah Mitch. You are the 1st lpn-ma I've heard of. Can't imagine why you'd need ma credentials to get a job???

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

to answer all your ques.
Many doctors in my area are only hiring ma's instead of nurses.
as long as i have a active nurses lic. of course i'll list my credentials as a lpn first that how i earn a living for 29 yrs..but i'm also just as proud to call myself a MA.
i'm not going from a lpn to ma but adding skills that i learned in MA school that are not taught in nursing school to complement my nursing background.
as for being the first lpn-ma,i now there is a RN on this forum thats a CMA also. so i'm not the only niurse who trained to be a MA.
i hope i answer all questions.

Are You Working? no

Hello there, Yes there are older MA's out there and they are great people. I'm 48 and I have the honor to work with such great people...I'm still learning a lot more then I did in school. To you younger MA's out there...you can learn a lot from these fine folks so when you see a older MA that you mightbe a family member or you know in person go up and tell them thank you. If have a question relating to your profession go ahead ask these folks they been around the block more than once and good luck to all of you and were in this together Were the back bone of the Medical office, clinic running smoothly. Take pride in what you do and who you are. God bless and keep the faith.

Sincerely,
Matt Edler, NCMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Hi Matt: What is an NCMA? First time I have seen that credential....

Jenny

I think this all depends on the individual doctor that you are working with and the crew that he already has on hand. Some doctors want young fresh new MA's because they can mold them to work how they want, but other doctors might no be comfortable with younger MA's and take your age as an advantage (By the way they can't ask our age during the interview)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/MA

Are You Working? No

Hi there, I'm a NCMA from (NCCT)and that means National Certified Medical Assistant. Here is their web address ncct.inc.com I hope that helped.

Sincerely,
Matt Edler, NCMA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.