This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MA + phlebotomy cert

For those of you that are MA's plus certified in plebotomy..can you tell me how much more/type training is involved?

Not being in the field yet, I am trying to understand the difference. MA's can give injections and draw blood..what additional skills are needed for phlebotomy?

Thanks.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Esthetician

Are You Still In School? Planning on MA school in September

Are You Working? Yes

Re: MA + phlebotomy cert

Hi Beth...

I'm not sure if this answers your question but I can tell you how they do it through my school.

Phlebotomy is part of our courses/training. I don't believe we get a special "certificate" or anything, it's just part of the program that prepares you for the cert exam. My schooling is 12 months at a private accredited health alliance school where once you take and pass the cert exam, you are certified in what you were trained for. I could be wrong and if I am, someone may be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

We have phlebotomy all 4 quarters...we start with using vacutainers and drawing one tube. Then second quarter is drawing 2 tubes with butterfly and vacutainer, then 3rd quarter is butterfly hand draws and your last quarter is syringe draws and hand IV's. So, by the time you graduate, you will have enough experience and confidence when you start your externship. We draw every Friday on each other.

I hope this helps!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Leah,

where are you at that you learn IV's? Most states don't allow MA's to start IV's.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? Yes

Beth, I beleive if you go for a phlebotomy cert, they go into more depth on the chemistry, tube additives, etc. I think they also require a much higher number of each specific type of draw. You usually don't need a phlebotomy certificate to work in a doc's office and draw blood as part of your duties. If you apply specifically for a phlebotomist position in a lab or hospital they usually require it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? Yes

I live in Michigan..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no