This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone else

still in MA school?

How far are you into the program and when will you graduate?

I am half way through...2nd quarter will be ending in a week and will have 2 more quarters to go. I'll be graduating in September 2009 and ready to do my externship and get ready for the cert exam!

How about you?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Anyone else

I am in school, finish it all in November, i think its like the 13th or something scheduled completion. Thats extern and all. I am finishing my first module.

The terminolgy is very similar to EMT as far as oppqrst in emt its opqrst and sample. Thats my 2c

Your Professional Title/Credentials: EMT

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes but not as a MA

I'm still in school. Loving it all!! Great instructors. I will be graduating in Oct 09. I finally finished all of the core classes. I started surgical procedures this month. A field I hope to go into or cardiology. Learning the surgical instruments are a bit overwhelming to say the least. They look like a bunch of glorified sissors. LOL!!
Personally, I think this was the best move of my life. I wasn't sure at first. The more I'm learning, the more I want to be a part of the healthcare field. I just wish I started this alot earlier.

Just finished in-classroom study on Friday. We started in September. Externship starts now and goes for 8 weeks. It was a lot to learn in 7 months. I'm going to review everything, especially all the common lab tests and their values, as well as terminology and CPR skills before my externship starts. I'll be taking the cert. exam in June so I'll also be studying for that over the next couple of months. Good luck to you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student cma

Are You Working? no

Maxine...7 months? WOW! Our program is 12 months. I cannot imagine all that we are learning crammed into a 7 month span!

Good luck with your externship and the cert exam!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Working? no

I'm going to start school in September. Was there ever a time when you were in school that you were surprised by what you were learning? Or was something harder than you thought?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Esthetician

Are You Still In School? Planning on MA school in September

Are You Working? Yes

I agree Leah. The MA program I'm going through is also 12 months long. That is attending classes 4 nights a week from 6 till 10pm. The stuff I have learned has been overwhelming at times. I couldn't imagine cramming it all into 7 months as well. I applaud anyone who can get it done in 7 months.

Well, it is an accredited community college - full time classes five days per week. The 7 months did seem a little rushed, but I think I learned everything required from an accredited MA program. The 8 week externship (after the 7 month in-class portion of the program) is a credit course and you earn a grade and don't graduate if you don't make the grade, so I expect there to be quite a bit of ongoing learning there...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student cma

Are You Working? no

I'm still in school. The program I am taking is usally a year long if you go full time, but since I had to work while going to school, I am stretching it to two. I am in my second semester at a community college taking Medical Transcription and Anatomy and Physiology. Last semester I took an introductory health class, medical terminology, and a required computer class.

In the fall, I will begin all the fun stuff--learning all the back office procedures, including phlebotomy. Then in the spring I will be learning front office procedures and basic x-ray.

Because my clinicals are only offered during the day, I will be leaving my full time job to find something I can do while in school. Wouldn't it be nice to find something in a medical setting to put on my resume?!! COOL!!

Jenny

Jenny
I would assume that your clinicals are the externships?? I could have the same problem here as well. Most of our externships are during the day. Our school does have some externships at urgent care clinics here in the Orlando area. I just don't know what kind of experience I will get. Maybe that is a question I can ask anyone here on this forum. Has anyone worked or done an externship in a urgent care clinic?? There is a externship in a cardiology office during the day that I can do. That is the field I want to try to get into.
Good luck with your studies Jenny!!

Scratch my last post here. I just realized what you meant by your clinicals.

I should have been a little clearer, Russ! LOL

Fall semester is Clinical Competencies (phlebotomy, ekg, vitals, etc). Spring semester is Administrative Competencies (billing and coding, insurance, scheduling, etc). Then following the spring semester is my 10 week externship. It is my intention to extern in a place that will hire me.

Jenny