This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Externships

Do students have to interview for externship positions, or does the school place you based on their judgement of your abilities or need for more training?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Esthetician

Are You Still In School? Planning on MA school in September

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Externships

Our school places you in an externship. They actually try to place you by your choice. Our externship coordinator tries to work with us to make sure our externship goes as smoothly as possible. As much as I would love to do my externship in a cardiology office, which is my choice, I will be doing my externship in a urgent care clinic in the evenings.
I work fulltime during the day, thus, I need an externship in the evening.

So the clinic accepted you based on the schools recommendation?

Are You Working? Yes

My school placed us in a clinic and if we knew that we wanted to extern in a specific clinic they would try to meet that request; all depending on if the clinic was talking students at the time. My clinic of choice was and I ended up getting hired there before graduation. Our first semester was all theory, hands on training in the lab, ect. If we were not ready/had the skills for an externship by the end of the first semester you did not pass. All clinical placements had to be in a family practice or a pediatric office that took clients up to 18 so that all aspects of medical assisting could be learned, no one was allowed to be placed in a specialty office.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

That makes sense.

Are You Working? Yes