This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is anyone an EKG/ECG Technician?

Hi! I've been lurking for a bit and now that I'm finished with all of my labs I feel like I need to get a move on things instead of waiting until I graduate in October. I'm attending Everest college- which is THE BEST school I have ever been to. I know it's corporate but the staff is incredible and you're always made welcome to get extra help or brush up on skills before you go out there. Just wanted to mention that, because this school has been such an uplifting experience for me and I highly recommend the portland or campus. Anyway :p

I am going to try and take the certifying exam for the EKG tech job in April and was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what a typical day is like?

More specifically I want to work the nightshift at Providence or any hospital really (that one is right up the street though lol) and I'm willing to take ANY nightshift job until the one I want becomes available.

What is the nightshift typically like in a hospital for an EKG tech? Or is this usually an on-call deal?

Also, what positions (office or other) are typically offered on this shift?

I'm not worried about there being no job at all because I'm willing to start low and work my way up.... but either way is the nightshift usually needing people more than the day shift?

Thanks =)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Is anyone an EKG/ECG Technician?

Honestly? EKG techs are thinning out due to the fact that CMA's can do EKG's.

If you are interested in cardiovascular...have you thought maybe to go into echocardiogram sonography?

I am actually going into this field once I get my CMA. The school that I attend now offers this training but it's difficult to get into as you need some prereq's to get into the program. Cardiovascular techs are in high demand across the US. Something to think about

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Is anyone an EKG/ECG Technician?

I work at a cardiology clinic in Minneapolis and in a typical day I do about 20 EKGs. I also prep patients for stress tests and administer holter monitors. It is a lot of shaving and applying electrodes. It can get boring doing the same thing over and over, but once in awhile you get an interesting looking EKG.
I don't know if this helped much. If you like the same routine everyday then you'd like to be an EKG technician. Also, if you like meeting and talking to many different people you'd like it and that is what mostly keeps it interesting.
Good luck with everything!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes