This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What did you do in the first two weeks of externship?

I was wondering if anyone could comment on thier externship. How long before you were on your own with patients? How comfortable were you when you first started?? I've just completed my 6th day at my externship (pediatrics) and I'm still a bit nervous. Anyone have a bad experience with the externship?

Thanks
SM

Are You Still In School? Externship

Re: What did you do in the first two weeks of externship?

aww.. dont look for the bad stories! They really freaked me out when I started my externship! :P My first month was done with an Endo, and at the end of the first month, I asked to be moved to another site because I was not doing anything other than taking BP's and printing reports. It made me nervous about finding work after my externship, so I was moved to a family practice. The first month at the Endo's office I was watched like a hawk. The second month at the Family Practice, they just walked me around the office, told me where stuff was, told me the doc would be irate if all the rooms werent full, so keep them moving, here's a pen, have a nice day! The end. It was scary and I thought about freaking out, and there were a couple times I had to say "HEY!! Im not comfortable!!" and they usually listened. Well the office manager listened, the other MA's ingored me. Even the very last day of my externship I was still nervous giving injections. Just remember, there are never any dumb questions, and if your nervous or unsure, or worried, somewhere in that office, there is someone who can help you or point you in the right direction. Good Luck!! It will be over before you know it. But just remember, to learn ALL you can learn, and do all you can do. Its absolutely the most valuable part of your education!

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

It was a very long time ago, but I did mine in a Military Hospital. I got lucky, there wasn't time to be nervous. My first week I assisted with a vasectomy and helped a Doc by cutting a norplant out of a ladies arm. Yep, he held the tissue open and I cut it out! I was scared to death, but I had a wonderful team of Doctors and Med Techs ready to teach me any thing I wanted to learn. Just show them you are ready and willing and the rest will all be worth it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CPT, CET

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

That would be awesome! Wish I would have gotten to go some place like that.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Hi,
I was wondering, how long did you do your externship in a military hospital? I am currently on break until the end of August, but around the ens of September, we should be starting clinicals/externships. I have a military background as a Basic and Advanced Hospital Corpsman and live near a Naval Hospital. I never thought to use a military hospital. The only challenge I see is with the medical records. Civilians do records differently than the military does. Pls drop me a line and fill me in some more.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No