This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hired during externships??

Just curious as to how many of you were offered a position during your externships???

Re: Hired during externships??

I was, but not at first. There were two of placed at the same medical group, they had two office each in a different room. My friend was in office B for the first half of the semester and I was in office A the first half. They needed to hire some one in office B and since they were more use to my friend over there the offered her the job. Then after half way through we switched and I was in office B with a medical assistant who ended up quiting a month before I graduated so they hired me next...so my friend and I both got hired in office B.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Thats great!! To be able to work alonside with a classmate. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!!

I GOT FIRED at my externship an old lady got nervous at a guy doing her vitals and told the doctor she will not come back while im there so they let me go

So what happened after that Nate? Did the school place you in a new externship?

There's got to be more to the story.

Jenny

Are You Still In School? yes

i screwed up an injection and i was out

I'm confused...was this before or after you were fired because the little old lady didn't want a guy taking her vitals?

You're telling two different stories here...

Jenny

From what ive read nate got fired from an actual job AND his externship. So maybe thats why there is 2 reasons.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes, but not in medical field

clear it up
Externship fired for screwing up vitals
job fired for giving a bad injection/ lack of experience

my mistake for not explaining better

Would you share how you screwed up the injection?

bevel did not go in totally it spilled meds down a ladies arm instead of in her arm

i ddint want to mention it before but i guess its ok to say something

Thanks for clearing that up.

Was that the first injection on a patient you had done in the nine years since school?

Jenny

yes it was i had the needle was positioned correctly i just didnt go in deep enough

it was not pretty

thanks for sharing. We can all learn from each others mistakes. Its unfortunate that you were fired for something like that. Was it a medication that should have been done with a Z-track method? I am having a hard time visualizing why the medication would not stay in just because of the bevel which is at the tip of a needle a a needle always goes all the way in if you are using the correct length.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Just curious what type of injections are given in a cardiologist's office?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? y

I was just offered a position as an MA during my externship.It was very tough in the beginning. I just did everything I could to stand out. It paid off much to my surprise in the end. I was offered a competitive salary with great benefits. I begin my position June 2nd, full-time. Work hard, ask a lot of questions. My eagerness to learn everything is what attracted them to hire me. It is possible even if they do not have a postion, they may create ione if they want you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA - Extern

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Congratulations abita! Its a tough job market out there. You must feel terrific.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no