This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
externships in urgent care clinics..

Just a question to throw out to anyone.
Has anyone here done an externship at a urgent care clinic or has anyone worked or is working at one???

Just curious. I might be doing my externship at one.
Not sure about it.

Re: externships in urgent care clinics..

I wanted to do mine in an urgent care, I think that if I had it to go back and do all over again, I would push to get into an urgent care. You cant replace the education you get on externship, and at an urgent care you would most likely get a wide range of experience. I had to be asked to be moved after the first month of my externship, because I wasnt doing anything.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I want to work in cardiology also but id take whatever is given to me as long as it pays decent enough to afford nursing school while i work.

Urgent care i think would give a plethora of experience because of the different cases each day of peoples sickness.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes but not in healthcare

I work urgent care and I absolutely love it. It's exciting to never know whats coming through the door next. I think it definately takes a certain kind of person to work urgent care though. You have to be on top of your game at all times, because you never know when you are going to have to move fast and make decisions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

My cousin is an MA in an urgent care clinic. I don't know if they have students in that type of setting; especially if your clinical time is only one semester, you are still doing so much learning I could see where you could get in the way. I graduate with my BSN in a few days (whoo hooo!) and we were not allowed to float to the ER until after our first semester of clinicals.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Melody,

If you don't mind my asking, what are your hours like? I've thought of trying to get into the UrgiCare that's in our network. I always wanted days and no weekends but to be perfectly honest, at this point, my kids are never around anyway. The two that still live at home are 18 and 22 and the 18 yr. old is leaving in the fall for college so my hours are more flexible.

And what is a birth doula?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? Yes

Some one professionally trained to coach and support a woman during the birthing processes.

The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.

Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.

A Birth Doula

* Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
* Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
* Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
* Stays with the woman throughout the labor
* Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
* Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
* Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
* Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level

Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula