This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my degree is pretty much worthless

Hello, I just graduated from Draughon's Junior College with an A.S. in Medical Assistant. I live in NW Tennessee, Obion Co. The problem is that in this area I can't find one doctor's office or anywhere else for that matter that is even familiar with what a medical assistant is. I have been asked by teachers, hiring manager's, doctor's, and even the career center here; just what does a medical assistant do? I am about ready to give up. How can a person find employment if they have to explain their position to professionals in the same field they are in? Need advice, please!!!!! I don't know what to do.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: my degree is pretty much worthless

how did you do your intership in your area if none of the medical professionals know what M.A.'s are?
Why not go to the college for employment help, if they have job placement assistance.If you send out resumes maybe attach a M.A. job description with it to educate the people you want to work for.Sell yourself and your skills. maybe someone will give you a shot.
I think your college, since they are training M.A.'s in area were nobody know who and what we are, should hold a open house invited the medical professional in to educate them to what M.A.'s can do and how M.A's can be a benefit in their practices.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: L.P.N. - R.M.A.

Are You Working? no, not a present

Sorry, I need to clarify better about my location. I attended school just across the KY state line (I live in TN). I performed my internship in KY, just a few miles away. I have seen MA jobs advertised in KY but too far to drive. Also some in TN too far to drive. But not here. I have tried differnet job search strategies like the internet and leaving my resume with hiring managers without any jobs advertised. Today I called a local vocational school about their LPN program and asked if my credits would transfer from my MA program and had to explain to the man what an MA was. I like your advice about including a job description with my resume. No job placement assistance through the school. Probably for lack of openings. Oh, and my internship location in KY had an MA working there but they had recently joined into something called Rural Health Clinics and are not allowed to hire anyone without a license. In my area they want a licensed person to do all the clinical duties. I guess I'm just letting off steam. Any suggestions?

Are You Working? no

Belinda,
Sounds to me like you live out in the boonies and there is a lack of jobs period. Have you tried any of the urgent care clinics? Also I also say add a job description to your resume and maybe also a scope of practice. You can find a scope of practice at the AAMA site and possibly one here(i havent really looked). My other suggestion is to move if its an option closer to a position possibly. If the school your looking into does not know what an MA is then it probably isnt a good LPN school. When looking for nursing schools you MUST consider looking at the state board of nursing website for either RN or LPN and find a state approved school. Some schools offer the training but are not state approved and then you cant become licensed which makes the money you spent for the school pointless.

Have you tried the local hospitals? Medical assistants work there also. Here in california ive seen openings for MA's at chiropractic offices, podiatrists, optician offices etc so maybe you were not aware of all these options also.

Dont give up.
Hope for the best in your searchs
Luis

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes, not in medical field

I'm a Lpn ,we are a "Dying Breed"in my area,Rhode Island'. it's becoming harder to find jobs. since there about six school training rn's,they taking jobs that mostly were filled by lpn's. my old job just laid off some lpn's and they are treating the lpn's more like cna now, by tasking duties we use to away from us.
you might be better off looking in going to a school for Rn. more job security, better pay, more chance for advancement. you should see what of your credits can be transfered in a rn program.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: L.P.N. - R.M.A.

Are You Working? no, not a present

Hey, thanks for the response. I will try your ideas about the scope of practice and job description with my resume. The town that I live in is about 15,000 people, approx. 40 physicians offices not counting dentist or opthomologist. One hospital approx. 200 beds. It's just a bad location for MA's because the Doc's all want licensed clinical employees. I wish we could get licensed as MA's. This may sound stupid but couldn't we all ( every MA ) sign some kind of request or petition or something to try and change the requirements to a license? I am scheduled to take my exam for cert. next month. Thanks for your confidence.
Belinda

Are You Working? no

Oh, I just read the post about licenses for MA's. Guess that answers my question. Belinda

Are You Working? no

Belinda,
Another thought came to mind also. Maybe the doctors offices dont want to hire you because of malpractice insurance costs. So you might want to either get your own or offer in your resume to get your own upon hiring. .... just a thought.

It sucks living in rural areas because there honestly is not alot of opportunity to grow much until they see it fit. But keep your head up im sure something will come along, i do know it wont just fall into your lap though :P

Luis

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes, but not in medical field

Try http://www.med-solutions.net/.

They are a medical placement agency based out of Ky, but Tn is also one of the states they place MAs in.
Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech

Are You Working? yes. I work agency. (Hospital ER Clinic for 6 years)

Lexi, thanks so much for your help. You have all given me some good ideas. I will check out that web site right now. Thanks again. I will let you all know how it's going. Belinda

Are You Working? no

Ok yeah I am over $20,000.00 in debt from going to school to be a CMA no hospital uses them and if you work for a MD they pay you less than 10.00/hour and with the economy some offices dont use CMA's they use Nurses that do all the work. Like front desk, filing, intake, and tests. I worked for a pharmacy and got certified through them and make well over the starting pay for a CMA as a certified pharmacy tech. The only thing you could possibly do with a CMA is use your office skills and do office work. Or even spend a little bit more and become a Phelbotomist they make good money.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CPhT./ CMA

Are You Working? yes not in CMA field