This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wanna be A CMA?

Ok this message is for those who are thinking about being a CMA because I am as well. I am starting A CMA program in May..yes its a private institution and regardless of the numerous complaints I read about not being able to find a job I'm still going and this is why: I did research! I currently work for a hospital and I currently hold a postion that is strictly desk work and it bores me. I'm thinking about becoming a RN but before I make the commitment I'm gonna do CMA..why u may ask? Cause I already work for a hospital and they have a paid intern program for students who go to the school I'm enrolling in ...I do agree the CMA training should be taken at a community college that way if u want progress u have credits unfourtunatley for me the community colleges in my area aren't CAAHEP certified. The private school I'm attending has CHAAEP & ABHES accredidation..and its an un written known fact that the hospital I work for usually only hire students from this particular school..those are the reasons why I'm pursing this program..I just wanna say to others who are curious about CMA to do ur research..She what competing programs offer over the other. Also I live in the MD/DC area and most hospitals are recuriting CMAs (notice I'm adding the C cause certification is very important) who have CNA certification aswell the postions are listed as either clinical technicians or patient care technicians..the internship in interested in helps to obtain can..and honestly my hospital pays LPNs and CMAs w/ CNAs the same for entry level. So just do ur research in ur area 1st before commiting to a program usually in small city CMAs are not in. And for those who already are CMAs and can't find a job become a CNA aswell to open more oppourtunities!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: FINANACIAL CLEARENCE REP

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: Wanna be A CMA?

I didn't want to post twice but I'm posting from my phone I wasn't sure the 1st one went through..lol

Your Professional Title/Credentials: FINANACIAL CLEARENCE REP

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Hi everyone!

I'm been reading this forum for a while, and I've noticed that there are a lot of MAs on here that are unemployed, due to lack of certification, outdated skills, etc. I'm not sure if any of you know what the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) is, but it's a federal "grant" that allows you to get certification/education needed to be a successful MA. This is money that DOES NOT have to be repaid. I got laid off in Jan. I found out about this program through my MA school. I have completed the last step (taking the TABE exam on Wed.) and I begin MA school in April! WIA will pay $5,000 for a one year program and $8,000 for a two year program. After applying for pell grants, I won't have to pay anything for school. I am not affliated with this program AT ALL, nor am I "receiving" anything for this post. I just wanted to let everyone know that there is financial help out there. I've been blessed so I just want to share the positive vibes around.
If you have more questions, I'm sure that your local department of labor can help you. (WIA is not a part of the DOL, however, the DOL has info on this program).
Have a great weekend!
LA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: None...Working on that now. lol

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Thank you, LA, for posting this VERY helpful info. I have no doubt this will help many who are at their wit's end as to how to come up with the money for their tuition. We always hear: "The money is out there", but it can be challenging to find. I am convinced there will be some here that will look into this.

Thanks for reaching out, and sharing.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Kei,
What school are you going to attend in May?

Are You Working? No

Re: Re: Wanna be A CMA?

So some of you know. WIA has limited funds and you MUST get your schooling approved before attending the classes or they may or may not pay. The program is great, but when funds run out they run out.

((( Personal Opinion: They usually waste most of the money on the women with 12 kids that are on welfare as their worker wants them to find a job and get off welfare. These women use this money to go to school typically AFTER they find a job that is not hiring. )))

Are You Working? Yes, but not in medical field

((( Personal Opinion: They usually waste most of the money on the women with 12 kids that are on welfare as their worker wants them to find a job and get off welfare. These women use this money to go to school typically AFTER they find a job that is not hiring. )))[/quote]

I'm am not an "advocate" of WIA, however to say that most of the receipants of such funds are simply "welfare mothers" is outrageous. WIA has NO connections with caseworker, social workers or any other form of "worker" that would help any diadvantaged person, i.e. the momma with all kids you so cleverly mentioned. It is purely on a "first come, first served" basis and you must test into the program. So, without even knowing me, a women who attended a Big Ten university,has no children and is not on any form of assistance, other than that which I just began (due to being unemployed due to a company reorganization), you just made a huge judgement call. I am using these funds to get my foot in to the medical field for FREE. To lump an entire group based on the "perception" of some is not cool .

Are You Working? No

Hi LA,
Im going to Medix in Towson...I dont believe my school qualifies for the WIA grant

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Financial Clearance Rep

Are You Still In School? Yep

Are You Working? Yep

Well LA, I am not going to hijack this persons thread and to defend my personal opinions at all. I am very happy that the funds are going to such a great use. I was just noting my own personal opionion and thus I noted it as such in many different ways. I didnt really expect a reply but your reply was well thought out and professional.

My advice to anyone doing WIA do research first then apply. There are more programs than there is space to mention that help people with getting an education and moving on in their repective fields. As LA said it is usually first come first serve, kind of in the same way a homeless shelter is. So my advice is know when where and what time to apply before trying to do so. Also call around and check for funding, with todays state budgets programs are low on funding at times and thus makes it harder for MOST of the people who really NEED the funding to get it.

Are You Working? Yes but not in healthcare field.

LuisD
Well LA, I am not going to hijack this persons thread and to defend my personal opinions at all. I am very happy that the funds are going to such a great use. I was just noting my own personal opionion and thus I noted it as such in many different ways. I didnt really expect a reply but your reply was well thought out and professional.

My advice to anyone doing WIA do research first then apply. There are more programs than there is space to mention that help people with getting an education and moving on in their repective fields. As LA said it is usually first come first serve, kind of in the same way a homeless shelter is. So my advice is know when where and what time to apply before trying to do so. Also call around and check for funding, with todays state budgets programs are low on funding at times and thus makes it harder for MOST of the people who really NEED the funding to get it.

Thank you, LuisD for respecting my personal thoughts, as I attempted to do yours. Far to often, on various forums, friendly debate doesn't happen. And I completely agree with you, that there isn't enough funding to go around. I was lucky, but there are so many talented people out there who need help and can't get it. It's sad. Also Kei, I'm going to Medix in Atlanta...it's refreshing to meet another person going to Medix (I haven't run across that many).

Have a great evening,
LA

Are You Working? No