This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting MA pay

For all of the working MA's, what was your starting pay and where do you live? I live in Maine and my starting pay was $12.15. I was hired as an MA full-time and they trained me to become an orthopedic technician for them part-time as well. I was just curious as to whether I got lucky or if this is low/average starting pay.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical assistant/Orthopedic technician

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Starting MA pay

In Michigan I have I just started at 8:00 hr that is LOW, I have seen anywhere between 8-10 hr tops to start in Michigan. Alot of small parctice pay very low and to be honest the larger ones are not much better

Y is this feild so under paid???

You got pretty lucky, but then again I'm from Michigan and everything sucks here lol, right Nate??I'm currently trying to get a new job because as much as I love my job, my husband's plant officially closes down in June so I need to bring in the cash, but it really really sucks in MI right now. I have a job interview on Monday and I'm gonna ask for 11 - how sad right?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

LOL, Linda you must have been posting at the exact same time as me, I didn't see yours before I did mine, another Michagander, how funny

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? yes

oh yeah michigan sucks

i wont name names but i called about an MA job and the doctor was shocked to hear a guy call and he said he dosent feel that is a right fit. (its a family practice)and patients wont feel comfortable with a guy i told him if im black you cant do that so what makes u do it now cause im a guy?

his answer?...... He hung up hahaha

I live in Cincinnati, OH, and the average pay here for Medical Assistants starting out is $12-$13 an hour. Maybe you could move here Nate, it is about 4 hours to Michigan from here.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

I live in southeast Ohio, I started at $8.00 per hour. Just got a .50 raise after 8 months. . This is low the offices that are affiliated with hospitals start at a higher rate. I work for the county health dept.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

what sites in Ohio can i use to look for work?

Nate, there are not many jobs in this area for MA's. But I live about an hour from Pittsburgh, PA. UPMC has lots of MA jobs listed. http://www.upmc.com/careersatUPMC/Pages/default.aspx
If you are interested in relocating there are several cities that are less expensive to live in WV or PA area but only a 20 or 30 min. drive into the city.
Hope this helps.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

Hey Nate, you can look at www.careerbuilder.com or a big hospital system in Cincinnati, OH is www.trihealth.com they have a few pages of MA jobs.

I wish you the best of luck!

Missy

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Working? No

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they or someone they know who lives around BUFFALO,NY and what there pay/experience was (where they went to college etc) Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: in college

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes, not in medical field yet.

Hey, I live in Buffalo,Ny. I will be going into the Medical Assistant program (2 YR. Associate in Applied Science Degree) at Trocaire College in the fall (switching major). I was told for the 2007 graduates, I think there were only maybe 10 max that 100% have full/part time positions in area medical group practices,clinics, or hospitals. Also, I was told average starting local salary is Hourly: $10.50-$14.00
Annual Rate: $21,000-$29,000. I hope this works out for the best. Im young but this will be my fourth semester (after taking 1 off). I wish everyone luck

Your Professional Title/Credentials: in college

Are You Working? yes, not in medical field yet.

I am answering for my wife, who isn't home right now, but it was about $10-12 to start when we were in Michigan. We just moved to Seattle, and most of the openings are starting at about $15-16. Granted the cost of living is higher here, by about 20%. That was for starting positions, with no experience. She has about 3 years of CNA style work, so they would start her at $16-17 per hour. She does have a 2 year associates degree from an accredited, real college that offers other degrees, BS degrees, and RN programs.

I work as fully time as a MA for a big company out here called Sutter and I get paid $19/hour with annual raises.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

I am living in Newport Beach, CA and a fairly new M.A starting pay is $14/hr at a gyn office.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: M.A

Are You Working? Yes

THATS GOOD PAY...I LIVE IN NEW JERSEY AND IM STARTING AT 10 AN HOUR. GOOD LUCK

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? N

Are You Working? Y

I live in Maryland and my starting pay was something like $14/hr. I've been at the same office for 5 years and am now the Office Supervisor. I make $18.00/hr now. Not to bad!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA

Are You Working? yes

Nate
oh yeah michigan sucks

i wont name names but i called about an MA job and the doctor was shocked to hear a guy call and he said he dosent feel that is a right fit. (its a family practice)and patients wont feel comfortable with a guy i told him if im black you cant do that so what makes u do it now cause im a guy?

his answer?...... He hung up hahaha

LMAO!!!! omg that's good stuff

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA/RN Student (Music Producer)

Are You Working? Yes

Hello, I live in MN and my starting wage is 15.50 per hour. I am very happy and started at current employer June 2009.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA,CNA

Are You Working? Yes

Colorado, Physical Medicine/ Pain Management. Starting wage 12.00$ same as I made after eight years in a factory. I'm the only MA in the clinic so I'm up to my eyeballs but I get to do a lot of stuff I'd never get to do in an UC

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/NREMT-B

Are You Working? Yes

I live in Orlando, Fl. and I was hired at my externship site at 11.50 an hour. I work at a pediatric urgent care clinic. It was on a temp basis but with fulltime hours.This was back in October of 2009. As of today, I'm still with them but more of part time hours. Recently I was offered and accepted an offer from a pediatric nuerology office working part time at 12.50 an hour. They almost guranteed me fulltime within 90 days. I have also received word that I could go fulltime with the pediatic urgent care clinic once I finish with my xray school and hopefully pass my BMO exam. I guess I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I count my blessings everyday.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

Hi-I'm at Stillwater Medical Group, and am only making $14.60/hr after on year. Where do you work? $15.50 per hour is nice. I am thinking about looking towards a bigger clinic but am unsure which ones are the higher paying ones, do you have any idea? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Norm

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? YES

"only" making? WOW i have to settle for 7:40hr here in Michigan at a family practice, please Norm spare us