This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what is driving the MA pay so low???

Hi,
i have noticed that medical assistat pay is very lower than anything else in the medical field, why is this?

I work for a workmans comp claims adjuster, we semd Medical assistants out to do vitals and get patient histories and we pay 12 hr to start.

All i hear is minimum wage to maybe 8 hr what is causeing this?

IMO its is to many schools pumping people out flooding the market witch srives the wages down.

I interviewd a young lady a few weeks back who said the Dr she has worked for since 2005 is paying her 8 hr full time that is unacceptable IMO

I understand smaller clinics/ dr offices pay less but anything under 10 he full time por part time i feel is exploitation

anyone else know y such low pay??

Your Professional Title/Credentials: office manager

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: what is driving the MA pay so low???

I think it is because it is not a professional title, you do not have to have a degree to get a job as a medical assistant, it is task oriented for the most part, no critical thinking, there are plenty of medical assistants out there so they are easily replaced; I think as far as it being the lowest...probably because it is in a office setting, CNAs only get paid more because they work in hospitals that can afford to pay their employees more; even housekeeping which is on the bottom of the totem pole gets 10/hr around here.
It seems like just about any unskilled person can become a Medical Assistant, I think if they regulated the occupation more (i.e. required certification and training through an accredited school), and even required a minimum GPA to get into MA programs there might be a little more respect.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth...

I have been in school for 7 months into my 12 month program and this is what I have heard and seen from upper classmen in my class who have either graduated or have just finished their externship.

Excellent professionalism and certification is a MUST in order to start out at a higher pay. Also, graduating from a very reputable, accredited school is also the key. Dr's, hospital's, and clinics are not going to pay you above minimum wage if you don't have these under your belt. I know 3 people who have graduated from my program last quarter (2 females, 1 male) who have been hired after externship because they show great professionalism, have applied to take their certification exam, and the dr's know what to expect from them because of where they did their schooling. This is where you need to do your research on which school you attend. I agree with the mass load of "mill schools" out there and these dr's are aware of these schools and their reputations. A lot of the mill schools are not going to train you in a lot of areas that are essential and are not accredited. Those 3 classmates all were paid higher than minimum ($12/hr), all because they showed their great professionalism and work ethics. At our school, before any of us can start externship, we must submit a resume and the first thing they look at is our professionalism grade.

If a dr. only offers minimum wage to someone who has all the qualities that I mentioned earlier, than it is up to the individual to find someone who will pay more or you need to stand up for yourself.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: n/a

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

there are six schools in my state of R.I. training ma's..over saturation!!!!!!!!!
that's a lot of schools for the smallest state in the union.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: L.P.N. - R.M.A.

Are You Working? yes, volunteering @ Rhode Island free Clinic

As someone who went to what I consider to be a "mill", I have struggled for a long time working for well below what I felt I was worth. The market is desperately oversaturated and the competition is Fierce (said like Tyra lol) I just last week got a new job where I am satisfied with my wages. Its a tough world out there chickadees

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? yes

"Excellent professionalism and certification is a MUST in order to start out at a higher pay."

Most employers want proof of graduation from an accredited program but don't require certification and don't pay more because you have it. I work for a large hospital network in PA and there is a starting MA wage and a max MA wage. If you're just out of school, you're at the bottom starting wage, period. Since they don't require certification, they won't pay you more because you have it. Likewise, they won't pay you more if you have an associates degree since they don't require one even though the school insisted that getting an associates would garner higher wages....(more money in their pocket but not mine).

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Yes

lorraine
"Excellent professionalism and certification is a MUST in order to start out at a higher pay."

Most employers want proof of graduation from an accredited program but don't require certification and don't pay more because you have it. I work for a large hospital network in PA and there is a starting MA wage and a max MA wage. If you're just out of school, you're at the bottom starting wage, period. Since they don't require certification, they won't pay you more because you have it. Likewise, they won't pay you more if you have an associates degree since they don't require one even though the school insisted that getting an associates would garner higher wages....(more money in their pocket but not mine).

Ditto! Sad, but true.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Im actually really glad I read this thread. We have an intern at my office that was swearing up and down that her teacher told her that once she finished her internship and schooling, because once she was done she was certified without having taken the AMT test. I was trying to clear up the whole certified/registered issue with her because in my area, being state certified is a requirement to get a good job. We have 2 rather "millish" schools less than 10 miles from each other and you have to be really good to get hired.........

Are You Working? yes

Your post brought a smile to my face. I call my 18 yr. old daughter "chickie" all the time.

Are You Working? Yes

Danni,

Just wondering if that article I wrote and you posted on the site years ago is still up? It's still relevant to this thread.

Are You Working? Yes

lorraine
Danni,

Just wondering if that article I wrote and you posted on the site years ago is still up? It's still relevant to this thread.

Lorraine,
you must be thinking of the article on licensure for MAs?

http://www.certmedassistant.com/on-medical-assistant-licensure.html

I also still have your CMA vs. RMA.

http://www.certmedassistant.com/on-cma-and-rma-certifications.html

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Thanks, I figured it was floating around somewhere.

Are You Working? Yes

Hello,
I'm currently enrolled in school for MA. It is discourging to me that pay isn't better for MA.
exspecially when I'm going to school to better myself and my knowledge. It's also discourging knowing that when I become certified it will not help me become better paid. I would like to know if any one has any suggestions on how I can ahead of the compution.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: n/a

Are You Still In School? y

Are You Working? n

Tammy,

Don't let us discourage you. Being an MA really is amazing. I love my job and I make decent money. Before I went to school, I was a shift manager at a fast food place. This is waaaaayyyyyy better lol. Honestly, if you want more money, go get your RN. MA's are low in the hierarchy of the medical field. IT's just a fact. But I'd much rather be an MA than a CNA. No offense to all the CNA's, but I don't think I could stomach the job. The first time I saw a bedsore, I thought I was going to pass out. The grossest thing I'm going to see at my job is pinkeye lol.

Are You Working? yes