This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
when dose opportunity knock?

I want to first off thank anyone and everyone who is supportive of males getting into this type of work.
A woman walking into a factory decades ago was un heard of now. Look at the big 3 it is filled with men-women and diffrent types of people all working for the same goal, to make a living doing what they love (or yes in some cases just doing it to get by)

The same must go for the MA business, NO ONE (and I'am talking to people that posted here in the last few hrs to) should ever be allowed to discourege ANYONE from reaching their goals and dreams.

when i see people posting "i dont know y any male would want to get into this profession" it ****** me off to no end. The same horrible opnions were trown at black people decades before because they wanted an equal shot at life.(yes im compareing you to a raceist right now)

attitude has been mentioned, yes a positive attitude is number 1 at an interview but when you are told "we rather hire a woman" the attitude shown towards me if far worse IMO than anything negative i can say or comment about on a message board. (we dont hire negro's) sound familiar?

This may be a new way of thinking to some of you, but you hire a person on the basis of if they can DO THE JOB NOT what gender they are.

Yes I drove to Fla for 6 hr (my choice again) had i not given that injection id been fired (moot point i know)sometimes you do what the boss tells you to.

to all those saying or assumeing i have a crimeinal record, look at someone you might know or a family member that ACTUALLY HAS ONE and see how you judge them, (easy to drop assumptions on a message board) im clean always have been always will be.

should i have cut my losses? NO I will continue to try to find work in thes field.

if you read this and still think males shouldnt be MA's than you yourself are not much of a person to be in the medical feild careing for people

I went to school to be an MA and i will show you the same attitude you show me

(btw sorry if any spelling or grammer is off)

Re: when dose opportunity knock?

Excelent posting Nate. Honestly this is the most positive I have ever seen (Read) you to be. I do support males as MA's, I just gave up, yeah i said it, I gave up trying and went a different direction that was available to me at the time and I am in my happy place now. It sounds as though you have not given up and refuse to give up so with that, I say more power to you and best of luck.
Around here, the only place that a male MA stands a chance is either in a urology or dermatology clinic. Have you looked into those clinic types in your searching? if not, could pay off. So again, nice attitude and keep plugging along.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Well said Nate. I have seen several male Medical Assistants at the Dr.'s office's I have been to or taken my kids to. The one that comes the most o my mind (only because have had to take two kids there two different times) is an Orthopedic dr. Or how about Cardiology? I would try those over a family practice, and also in my area they make more because they are considered a speciality office.

I wish you the best of luck! Just keep your head up and be proud of the skills that you have acquired and I hope you find employment soon :-)

Missy

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

You are right....you should not be discriminated against for being male.

Jenny

Are You Still In School? yes--Brevard Community College

Like a pp said, I think you should concentrate your efforts on ortho, maybe urgent care type atmosphere...... the MA field is pretty female dominated, its true, but there are areas that you being a male will actually be to your benefit

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

bump this to the top for jeff

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes