This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
steroid injection

I need some more information of the subject of injections. The MA Do's and Don't state that an MA cannot inject an Anestetic. ie lidocaine, marcaine, methylprednisone. Does this include Solumedrol, depo medrol etc etc. If anyone out there has the answer, I would appreciate it. If you're instructed by an MD to give one, can you under his license legally do that.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: cma

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: steroid injection

mary
I need some more information of the subject of injections. The MA Do's and Don't state that an MA cannot inject an Anestetic. ie lidocaine, marcaine, methylprednisone. Does this include Solumedrol, depo medrol etc etc. If anyone out there has the answer, I would appreciate it. If you're instructed by an MD to give one, can you under his license legally do that.

I am allowed to inject Kenalog and that is a steroid. I think it depends on where you are injecting it.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C, CLD

Are You Still In School? Nursing school (BSN)

Are You Working? Self employed certified birth doula

I inject depo all the time if that helps

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? yes

Depends on where you are. Only a few states have specific regulations in regards to MA's. In most states, we fall under "unlicensed personnel" and can perform any procedure the MD feels we are trained to do as long as said procedure is not prohibited by other law. For instance, if you have to be an RN to start an IV in Pennsylvania by law, then you can't start one as a MA, whether the md thinks you're capable or not.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Yes

lorraine
Depends on where you are. Only a few states have specific regulations in regards to MA's. In most states, we fall under "unlicensed personnel" and can perform any procedure the MD feels we are trained to do as long as said procedure is not prohibited by other law. For instance, if you have to be an RN to start an IV in Pennsylvania by law, then you can't start one as a MA, whether the md thinks you're capable or not.
---
Exactly, depends on where you are, and what you, and hiring managers in your area want, also. You MUST be certified in California to draw blood (which is part of the medical assistant's scope of practice!). So, start looking at the wanted ads, and speak with other medical assistants in YOUR area.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes